NEW UCB REPORT FINDS TRAFFIC "NIGHTMARE" IF BART SERVICE KNOCKED OUT

  • sonya koch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2004

      NEW UCB REPORT FINDS TRAFFIC "NIGHTMARE" IF BART SERVICE KNOCKED OUT

      A halting of BART service would trigger a complete traffic gridlock on Bay Area corridors, according to a new, sobering analysis by researchers at UC Berkeley's Institute of Transportation Studies. Hard-hit commutes would include the span from Pittsburg to I-80 via Highway 4, which would take 165 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes. Travel times from I-680 to Highway 13, via Highway 24 through the Caldecott Tunnel, would go from 24 minutes to 195 minutes, eight times longer than normal.

      The full story is online at

      Sonya PLoS Medicine
      The open-access general medical journal from the Public Library of Science
      Inaugural issue: Autumn 2004 Share your discoveries with the world.