Help Toronto help you: Sept. 2004 New Mobility Summit

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2004

      Thursday, September 09, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Friends,

      As an old friend of sustainable transport and social justice, I would like to ask you to do something today that I truly think will benefit both the thorny world push to better and safer transport in cities – and at the end of the day,  I am quite sure, for your city and yourselves.

      We have as some of you know recently launched an ambitious Open Society Transportation Initiative with a group of public interest originations in the city of Toronto, which is building on their fourth successive Car/Free Day project and taking it much further and for far more than a single day.

      For background, let me direct you now to the website for the Toronto 2004 New Mobility Summit which you will find at http://ecoplan.org/toronto, which while not quite complete already is a pretty good source of information and insight for pioneering international effort.  In this context we would like ask you specifically following.

      You will see on the menu an item marked Guestbook.  This open public dialogue has been prepared to invite and share information, views and support from people who care about doing better in our cities, It is open to local residents, to anyone across Canada and to you, our friends and colleagues world wide who share these concerns.

      It will take you less than ten minutes to have a look and then to pop in share your views, and indeed we think that the exercise, the questions asked may be of a sort that might be helpful to you in organizing your own thoughts and actions on the subject.

      Finally, I am confident that Toronto’s lead in this is going to show the way for other cities and groups, as a time when new ideas and new energy are badly needed.

      Thanks for giving this your serious thought and hopefully a bit of your time.  Indeed, we all thank you.