" E pur si muove" - brilliant and troubling series of exchanges on the Sustran forum

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2004

      Dear Friends,

      There is a brilliant and troubling series of exchanges taking place on the Sustran forum under the subject line  ‘Bike Taxi' which are pointing to anomaly after anomaly in terms of the inability of cities and planners across the globe to deal with the challenges being raised by the mega-explosion of motorized two wheels, especially in cities in developing countries, with the Olympic Gold Medal going to Asia.

      The quickest way into these discussions for those of you who are not already a member of Sustran, is to go to the New Mobility Agenda home page (http://newmobility.org), click Discussions on the top menu, and away you go.  (You may wish to try a search for “Bike Taxi” which will give you the entire thread in neat order.)

      To give you a feel for where I at least think that these exchanges are taking us, I attach a note to the group that I wrote this morning to the group, in an attempt to provide a sort of stepping stone to extending the focus of the discussions.

      I hope you find some use in this and I can assure you that your views and suggestions to the group will be very welcome.