"Best Practices" listing for information and comment

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2004
      Dear Colleagues,

      In support of an ambitious new program about to get underway in Toronto
      is conjuction with their 2004 New Mobility Week, we have hastily cobbled
      together a reference list of "Best Practices" web sites covering
      initiatives in the area of sustainable mobility and city transportation
      improvements more generally.

      I attach a copy of this for your information. And should you have
      additions or corrections, this would be most appreciated.

      When the listing has been completed it will be posted here for all to
      consult and use. As always.

      Kind thanks

      Eric Britton
    • Administrative User
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Dear Colleagues,

        In support of our work on the Kyoto World Cities Challenge Initiative - see
        http://newmobility.org for the latest on that -- we have prepared the
        following list of "Best Practices" web sites covering initiatives in the
        area of sustainable mobility and city transportation improvements more
        generally.

        While I am sure that it is still quite incomplete, I do hope that this will
        be of use for you, and should you have additions or corrections, this would
        be most appreciated.

        Why is this important? Because when it comes times for city teams to
        consider if indeed they are going to be able to make the kind of very
        ambitious advances the Kyoto Cities Challenge is asking for, they are going
        to need all the help they can get. You can see how we are handling this on
        the site.

        When the listing has been completed it will be posted here for all to
        consult and use. As always.

        Kind thanks

        Eric Britton

        List of "Best Practices" Web Sites and Programs

        (Draft for information and comment)

        ACCESS - Eurocities for a New Mobility Culture
        a local authority network aiming to promote a new mobility culture
        throughout Europe, in order to combat congestion, improve air quality
        http://www.access-eurocities.org/ fekbritton
        <http://profiles.yahoo.com/fekbritton>

        Best Practices & Local Leadership Programme
        United Nations Human Settlements Programme(UN-HABITAT)
        http://www.bestpractices.org/

        Best practice for sustainable urban infrastructures
        Europe, COST program
        http://www.cf.ac.uk/archi/research/cost8/

        Bremen Initiative Best Practice Resources
        http://www.bremen-initiative.de/links/best_practices.html

        Case studies on sustainable development
        2004 World Health Organization
        http://www.who.dk/eprise/main/WHO/Progs/HCP/Documentation/20010917_2

        ELTIS case study database
        European Local Transport Information Service
        http://www.eltis.org/en/indexcse.htm

        EPOMM - European Platform for Mobility Management
        examples of successful Mobility Management, collected from all over Europe
        and beyond
        http://www.epommweb.org/epomm_examples_all.phtml?sprache=en

        EURONET/ICLEI Consortium
        Old but still a reference to consider- 1996
        http://www3.iclei.org/egpis/citylist.htm

        European Database on Good Practice in Urban Management and Sustainability
        designed to help local authorities to work towards sustainability by
        disseminating good practice and policy, facilitating the exchange of
        experience, and raising awareness about how cities and towns can be managed
        in more sustainable ways
        http://europa.eu.int/comm/urban/

        Gateway to International Best Practices and Innovations
        EPA National Center for Environmental Innovation
        http://www.epa.gov/innovation/international/transportation.htm

        ICLEI Project Summaries - Transport
        Also see Planning, Tools and Land Use sections
        http://www.iclei.org/LEICOMM/LEICASES.HTM#transport

        Model Cities: Urban Best Practices (Volume 1)
        Urban Redevelopment Authority, Singapore and The Institute of Policy
        Studies, 263 pages, ISBN 981-04-2446-9
        http://www.ips.org.sg/publications/pub_mc99i.htm

        Model Cities: Urban Best Practices (Volume 2)
        Urban Redevelopment Authority, Singapore and The Institute of Policy
        Studies, 258 pages, ISBN 981-04-2447-7
        http://www.ips.org.sg/publications/pub_mc99ii.htm

        SMILE - Sustainable Urban Transport Policies and Initiatives
        "170 successful and replicable European practices for sustainable mobility"
        http://www.smile-europe.org/frame22.html

        SURBAN - database on sustainable urban development in Europe
        Europe, fairllarge
        http://www.eaue.de/winuwd/list.htm

        Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities
        http://www.partnerships.stockholm.se/

        UITP Mobility in Cities Database
        http://www.uitp.com/Project/index29.htm

        USCM Best Practices Database
        U.S. Conference of Mayors
        http://www.usmayors.org/uscm/best_practices/

        On-line TDM Encyclopedia

        Victoria Transport Policy Institute

        http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/index.php

        WHO Healthy City Network
        A source of valuable expertise, legitimacy and continuous learning
        http://www.who.dk/healthy-cities/CitiesAndNetworks/20010919_1

        World Car/Free Days News Alerts
        In six languages. Also discussion groups
        http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/general/wcfd-news.htm

        World Car/free Days Consortium
        Good international coverage
        http://worldcarfreeday.com
      • Todd Alexander Litman
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          For our website you can say:

          Online TDM Encyclopedia
          Victoria Transport Policy Institute (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/index.php)
          Provides comprehensive information on the planning and implementation of
          innovative management strategies that result in more efficient
          transportation systems.

          Eric, I am very busy right now (I'm rushing to finish the manuscript for my
          book on parking management best practices, and leaving in a few days to be
          with my father in California when he goes for major heart surgery), but
          during April I hope to develop a new report recommending mobility
          management strategies to help achieve Kyoto emission reduction targets.
          I'll keep you informed. Perhaps we can collaborate on it, or at least its
          public release.

          Best wishes,
          -Todd Litman

          Sincerely,