Day in the Life of New Mobility - Food for thought from Toronto

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004

      Food for thought from Toronto: Our friends from the Sierra Club of Canada and the City of Toronto, with whom we are discussing Car/Free Day cooperation and a certain number of sustainable mobility transition ideas and actions in September, have just sent on a small brainstorming presentation entitled “Day in the Life of New Mobility” which you will now be able to access directly from the New Mobility Agenda site if you click to the Brainstorm link on the top menu. (Alternatively you can go direct to http://www.movingtheeconomy.ca/content/ditl.html)

      As their introduction makes clear, this is just one playful visualization; however the thing that is most striking here is the extent to which they are playing with quite a range of new and for the most part quite unfamiliar new or alternative mobility concepts which are neither solo driver cars or wait in the rain scheduled buses. This vivacity and variety is of course what is going to be the basic underlying pattern of new mobility in all cities of the world: new, softer and better ways of getting there without having to wait endlessly for technology to save us all (which of course it will not).

      And here’s a thought for our friends who are involved in the WBCSD report and follow-up process.  In a world of 100% for-sure over-capacity in the world auto sector, what is it that you can do to make money and provide products in this new mobility world, the one that we are now going to create?  The advantages of being an early adapter will be enormous.

      BTW, if you want to know more about the planned Car/Free Day events this year in Toronto – after all one of the most innovative cities in North America and one that is not waiting for sustainable mobility to descend from the heavens – we invite you to get in touch off group via postmaster@....  The lead in the Toronto project is being taken by the Sierra Club (Ontario Chapter) whose site you can see at http://ontario.sierraclub.ca/. The Car Free Day campaign has its own website! http://www.carfreeday.ca/. You also may want to have a look at the Moving the Economy program of the City at  http://www.movingtheeconomy.ca, which give quite a good feel for the number of actors and programs that are already on line there.