Invitation to check out the Value Capture Initiative in The Commons

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 3:38 AM
      Wednesday, July 14, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      If you go to The Commons today you will see a new program announcement:
      Value Capture Initiative, introducing itself as follows:

      "When our public servants invest our hard earned taxpayer dollars in
      investments that improve our communities and increase the value of real
      estate in the impacted areas, some or all of this increment should be
      recouped in order to fund much needed public services. This is easy to
      say but hard to do. So tune in here and lend a hand in this important
      task."

      One can only wonder why it has taken us so long to get around to this
      important set of issues with no less than huge implications for
      sustainable development and social justice, but finally here we are. And
      we think this is going to prove an important contribution, above all
      because as in all programs grouped under The Commons the contribution is
      a result of a vigorous and convivial international group effort.

      If you like what you see, we invite you to join the Land Café, for which
      you will see al the necessary information on the site. It is there where
      the support materials and discussions will unfold.

      Know someone who might be interested? Please share this note with them.
      Kind thanks.

      Regards,

      Eric Britton

      PS. Want to have a quick look at the new front gate of The Commons at
      http://ecoplan.org? The message we are trying to get across by this
      almost Google-bare page: Sustainability is a world wide issue that goes
      far beyond the capacities and even the interest of the groups and
      programs that are thus far grouped under The Commons (with more than one
      thousand people regularly checking in, currently at a rate of more than
      one hundred each day). So let us see if we can help point you where you
      need to go to find out what you are looking for. That anyway is the
      idea. Comments? Suggestions?