RE: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] "Seven Sustainable Mayors": Profiles of Courage

  • Peter.WIEDERKEHR@oecd.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004
      Eric,
      I have asked my German colelagues whom to recommend. Two cities in the South
      of Germany gotthe environment award: Heidelberg and Freiburg; both have made
      great efforts to make their cities more livable. Maybe you should take
      Heidelberg wh's Mayor Ms. Beate Schmidt was also an MEP and very active on
      environmental matters.

      Best wishes,

      Peter Wiederkehr
      Administrator Transport Programme
      OECD Environment Directorate
      2, Rue Andre-Pascal, 75775 PARIS Cedex 16, France
      Tel. +33 1 4524 7892; Fax. +331 4524 7876;
      email: peter.wiederkehr@...
      On the web: http://www.oecd.org/env/transport

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004

        Your thoughts on this?

        “Our” mayors, that handful of exceptional people who have not only done one or two good things for their city but who have by nature of their intervention changed the basic culture and the direction of their city – let’s call that sustainability -- thus making it a very different place, had a certain number of things in common.  One is that while able and ready to listen, when the action gets started they turn out to be especially hard headed people to make sure that the job gets done.  Hard headed and thick skinned. Okay, we will see about that in time.

        But is it also true that these people are so different perhaps in part because they are not driven to work in their own car or their car of function, possibly with a driver… but that they either take the bus, bike, run/walk to somehow share a vehicle?  Might that be part of the pattern?  I know that some of the ones I happen to know best fall into that pattern.

        Because if it does, it would seem to lend another dimension to the phrase car-free.  Since when we are freed of something we are also free to think without that encumbrance?

        And yes, kind thanks for those first notes of suggestion and your thoughts.  Believe me I am taking all this very seriously.  So thanks again.