WBCSD report. Comment from Simon Norton

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2004
      From: Simon Norton <S.Norton@...>
      Date: Wed Jul 7, 2004 6:46pm
      Subject: WBCSD report

      I'm sorry but as I'm away from home at present I can't read attachments
      (at least the way I normally do so). But I would like to make the general
      point that I don't believe that motor vehicles whizzing by every few seconds on
      local main roads can form any part of a sustainable transport policy. Even if we
      manage to make it work technically it won't work socially in that our urban
      environment will remain unpleasant and hostile to pedestrians and cyclists.

      As far as I am concerned, any sustainable transport solution must focus
      on traffic reduction, i.e. enabling people to fulfill their journey
      purposes with fewer motor vehicle miles -- especially those involving vehicles that aren't available to everyone (i.e. public transport). Whether we can do that without jettisoning automotive interests is another matter.

      Simon Norton