Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] "Seven Sustainable Mayors": Profiles of Courage

  • Kisan Mehta
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2004
      Dear Colleagues,

      As you are aware many countries following the British system have what is known as  `weak' mayors elected for one or two years by the elected councillors as against hte system in the USA, Japan, European countries of electing `strong' mayors.

      Weak mayors do not have any power or authority to decide the policy.   They preside over the regular meetings of
      the Council and are accorded respect as the First Citizen of the human settlement.    They cannot do anything or initiate any programme (unless of course the Lord Mayor of London who has gone beyond being a figurative head.

      Tthe ruling political party selects the candidate to stand for the mayorship hence quite often their deep knowledge or dedication is not the criterion (possibly his pull).   Eric, you know this situation of  unequal grounds  between mayors and mayors.  Best wishes.

      Kisan Mehta
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004
        Eric,
        I have asked my German colelagues whom to recommend. Two cities in the South
        of Germany gotthe environment award: Heidelberg and Freiburg; both have made
        great efforts to make their cities more livable. Maybe you should take
        Heidelberg wh's Mayor Ms. Beate Schmidt was also an MEP and very active on
        environmental matters.

        Best wishes,

        Peter Wiederkehr
        Administrator Transport Programme
        OECD Environment Directorate
        2, Rue Andre-Pascal, 75775 PARIS Cedex 16, France
        Tel. +33 1 4524 7892; Fax. +331 4524 7876;
        email: peter.wiederkehr@...
        On the web: http://www.oecd.org/env/transport

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004

          Your thoughts on this?

          “Our” mayors, that handful of exceptional people who have not only done one or two good things for their city but who have by nature of their intervention changed the basic culture and the direction of their city – let’s call that sustainability -- thus making it a very different place, had a certain number of things in common.  One is that while able and ready to listen, when the action gets started they turn out to be especially hard headed people to make sure that the job gets done.  Hard headed and thick skinned. Okay, we will see about that in time.

          But is it also true that these people are so different perhaps in part because they are not driven to work in their own car or their car of function, possibly with a driver… but that they either take the bus, bike, run/walk to somehow share a vehicle?  Might that be part of the pattern?  I know that some of the ones I happen to know best fall into that pattern.

          Because if it does, it would seem to lend another dimension to the phrase car-free.  Since when we are freed of something we are also free to think without that encumbrance?

          And yes, kind thanks for those first notes of suggestion and your thoughts.  Believe me I am taking all this very seriously.  So thanks again.