Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] France to Impose Green Tax on Big Cars

  • Kisan Mehta
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2004
      Eric,

      Would you consider increasing presence of the 4X4 Drives, SUVs and Station Wagons as a threat to the living beings and the environment.

      Please advise me, a computer illiterate, whether we should stop addressing to sustran discuss? Messages sent to sustran discuss are bouncing. Best wishes.

      Kisan
      Kisan Mehta
      Tel: 00 91 22 2414 9688
    • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
        Monday, June 28, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

        >>Would you consider increasing presence of the 4X4 Drives, SUVs and
        Station
        Wagons as a threat to the living beings and the environment.<<

        Dear Kisan,

        The very short answer is yes of course. But the longer one is that when
        it comes to wars and battles I try to chose the ones I can win. And I
        must admit I feel a bit edgy about the chances of this kind of
        specifically targeted approach.

        The higher the level of detail and specificity in any law with reference
        to technology or external appearance, the more likely it is that we will
        run into opposition and trouble, no matter how pure our motives. (And
        indeed in a true democracy we need simplicity and clarity in our laws,
        which argues for fewer and more powerful and not more and more fussy.)

        Which is why I favor such approaches as making drivers pay for the use
        of scarce public resources through (a) actual physical limitations in
        the amount of road space they can access (turning the rest over to more
        efficient users); (b) strategic parking policy (still one of the most
        powerful control tools we have and which we are still in most places
        under-utilizing); and road pricing. More or less in that order, and
        almost always like a rheostat with gradually tightening but fully
        transparent and ineluctable limitations and controls (giving folks the
        time needed to adjust to the new mobility environment..

        All those are sticks of course. So what about the carrots? ;-)

        (I assume this discussion is not concluded?)

        Eric Britton

        PS. Sustran messaging? Hey, they are a splendid and much needed part
        of our all too limited world sustainability tool kit. When I have been
        unable to get through to them on one or two occasions in the past, I
        later found out that it was because of a small addressing problem, on my
        part. I have forwarded your note to Paul Barter who I am sure will deal
        with you direct on this. But no no!, keep on with our wonderful friends
        at Sustran.