Int'l Walk to School Day

  • ecoplan (paris)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2000
      Dear Mr. Lanyon,

      Your note of yesterday (see below) is most welcome. Let me respond rapidly
      for now as a next step and invite further exchanges between you and others
      who share our interests. I’ll use bullets:

      1. The walk to school has to be one of the pillars of any place’s
      transportation and urban policy. The reasons for and the literature are
      extremely clear on this. (You will find some good leads to this on one of
      our other sites under The Commons, Children on the Move at
      http://www.ecoplan.org/children.)

      2. One of the things these two days have in common with each other is that
      in a better world they would not be one day of the year, but every day.
      (Our only mild constraint is that we really prefer to have our car-free days
      on normal work/school days in the middle of the week, for reasons that are
      abundantly documented in the site and correspondence.)

      Which boils down to this: which is, sure! Let’s work this out for 2001!
      What a great pleasure this will be.

      Eric Britton

      The Commons ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org

      Ryan Lanyon wrote on 13 July: “Our municipality (Ottawa-Carleton, Canada) is
      planning to encourage participation in this year's International Walk to
      School Day event on October 4, 2000. The Day originated in the late 1990s
      from the UK and has spread to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and
      perhaps elsewhere. My thought was that perhaps for 2001 the International
      Car-Free Day and International Walk to School Day could work together, and
      even plan the event for the same day (or week). Any comments?”