France to Impose Green Tax on Big Cars

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2004

      The remainder of this interesting discussion can be found both direct in our Sustran Network link (under Talking New Mobility in the menu) or in our gemütlich New Mobility Cafe (same address).

      BTW, are there any other worthy discussions on our important topic to which we should be providing similar direct links for everyone's use and convenience?

      ============

      From: Prabha Krishnan

      From: bombaynet@yahoogroups.com

      Date: 06/26/04 13:48:01

      To: sustran discuss; NewMobilityCafe

      Cc: bombaynet@yahoogroups.com; Harshad J. Kamdar

      Subject: [bnet] France to Impose Green Tax on Big Cars

      Dear Colleagues,

      We should welcome and applaud the French proposal to impose Green

      Tax  on Big Cars in view of increasing quantum of air exhaust in

      crowded human settlements.   This is possibly the first time that such a

      move being taken by the authorities to curb polution.

        Vehicle registration taxes worked out on the laden weight of the vehicle

      to be  paid at the time of putting  the vehicle on the road are comon

      however they are  found to be inadequate to curb increasing air pollution.

      One time tax as proposed may not be appropriate. To achieve the object

      of ensuring minimum health, what is required in addition is a Pollution

      Tax tagged to the petrol/diesel/gas consumption. That would also curb

      the use of vehicle  after paying the first tax. The realisation of Pollution

      Tax  can be utilised to run medical care  centres for cardiovaswcular and

      related  diseases as well as curtail the use of finite resource.    Taxes

      should be applicable throughout  the designated area, say the EU, France etc

      so that no vehicle  can escapes payment of these taxes.

      One time tax proposed for Paris would not control the pollution because

      the vehicle owner after paying  the initial tax payable at the time of

      purchase would soon forget the payment altogether and use the costlier vehicle

      more vengefully to the further loss to the community.

      Along with Pollution Tax, authorities should consider levying Congestion Tax to

      be  paid on the basis of actual furl coinsumption.  Rates for taxes may be

      different for different fuels, say more for diesel in personal cars, to encourage

      change over to less polluting fuels.   Congrstion Tax reciepts can be utilised for

      improving  pedestrian movmeent facilites. In the fast growing motorisation,

      pedestrian safety and convenience get the lowest priority.

      Thje SUVs and 4D vehicles should be charged tae Congestion and Pollution

      Taxes at a higher rate than personal cars.

      Let us hope that tax in London brought by the Mayor and the tax proposed

      in France become the herbinger of improved environment and higher

      human  safety. Thanks Sujit for bringing the matter to our notice. Best

      wishes.

      Kisan Mehta

      Save Bombay Committee

      620 Jame Jamshed Road,