New Mobility: And why we need you to join us on this.

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2004
      Thursday, June 10, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      A final note on the nomination of Ken Livingstone and his team for the World
      Technology Network's 2004 Environment Prize for their risky but finally well
      received road pricing project for London. The special "Guestbook and
      Commentary" that has been set up to support/qualify this nomination thus far
      has some two dozen fine comments, several of them ringingly negative but the
      overall majority quite nuanced but overall highly favorable. That you can
      see for yourself.

      Why do I want to ask you as a personal favor to pick up your pens and go to
      http://newmobility.org and then click the WTN Nomination link in order to
      share with us your views on this initiative, and more generally on both road
      pricing as a mobility management tool in cities and, perhaps most important
      of all, the role of strong leadership in bring unfamiliar but perhaps
      promising concepts into reality in a world that needs them? Well, if you
      recall this worked very well several years back when several hundred of us
      got behind Mayor Enrique Peñalosa to provide international peer support in
      his much debated, and at times grossly and unfairly attacked multi-point
      initiative to stimulate new thinking and new practices concerning
      transportation and life quality in large Third World Cities. It is my
      personal belief that from time to time such collective actions coming from
      people with strong credentials such as those who gather here, can indeed
      make a difference.

      Who knows, next time it may be your city or something that you believe in as
      a sustainability option that needs this sort of peer backing. So pick up
      that pen, and have a go at it. (Not only that, since it is an interesting
      and truly complex issue, I think it may also at the very least challenge
      some of your thinking and perhaps even give you an idea or two. Or so one
      would hope.) The final results of our group project will be submitted to
      the WTN jury one week from today.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      PS. The short section on "packages of measures" is a phrase used so often
      over the years that we all think we invented it. But in fact the first time
      I heard it in those exact words was in an article that Phil Goodwin wrote in
      TEC more than a decade ago, as memory serves me. So kind thanks Phil, and
      indeed your words in this particular case to straight to the heart of the