Sharon Flesher on rural carshare

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      Thursday, June 03, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Sharon,

      I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart and in the name of the
      group for that fine commentary on rural carshare and synopsis on your
      experience with the Traverse City carsharing operation over the last several
      years. I usually abstain from sharing such comments with the group as a
      whole, but in this case I think that we all owe you our thanks. And perhaps
      there is something that we can do as a group to build on this experience.

      It's strange of an experience such as yours involving several years of hard
      work, high hopes and commitment to the basic values of community and
      sustainability that we here all appreciate deeply, can be summarized in a
      few words. It seems so little. But since a good number of our group know
      what it is to work diligently and more often than not in the face of
      indifference, I think that we above all can fully appreciate what you have
      accomplished.

      The next question is how to build on this experience, so that it just
      confined to a few words and memories. And here I would like to ask the
      group and its many extensions to scratch their collective heads and see if
      they/we can turn up a couple of leads or ideas that we might now pursue. At
      the very least, I would like to see if we can get some concerned public
      agency or foundation - perhaps in Michigan maybe but quite possibly
      elsewhere -- to step in and at the very least fund a careful analytic 'post
      mortem' that can both provide us with a complete appreciation of your
      accomplishments and, critical here, of the lessons that have been learned
      that should be shared with others in the States and elsewhere.

      With oil at $42 a barrel and surging, there should be some hard thinking
      going on now in the right places about how we go about creating a set of new
      structures and daily life arrangements that guarantee not only our well
      being ands quality of life, but also the future for our children ('our' of
      course being the children of the world). In all this, we have seen over
      these last years that carsharing decently implemented has an important role.
      So, since we have this opportunity, now is a good time to see if we can put
      it to work for a good cause.

      So our collective thanks to you dear Sharon and your colleagues up there in
      Traverse, and who knows? maybe all that hard work will serve some important
      purposes which even you did not have in mind the day you said, "Hey, why
      don't we . . .".