Conference - Access to Destinations: Rethinking the Transportation Future of Our Region (

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2004
      Behalf Of David Levinson
      Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 6:35 PM
      Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS: Access to Destinations: Rethinking the
      Transportation Future of Our Region (utsg)

      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Access to Destinations: Rethinking the Transportation Future of Our
      Region
      November 8-9, 2004
      University of Minnesota

      Background

      The Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Minnesota is
      sponsoring a conference with the theme “Access to Destinations:
      Rethinking the Transportation Future of Our Region.”

      Issues that this conference seeks to address include:

      • What is the relationship between worsening traffic congestion levels
      and the ability of individuals to access such destinations as work,
      education, medical care, shopping and recreation?

      • What influences the location decisions people and organizations make?

      • How do various land development strategies, zoning policies and
      neighborhood designs affect accessibility?

      • What tools are needed to evaluate the impacts of transportation
      strategies such as expanded freeway and road systems, transit
      investments, technologies and operational improvements, and designs
      that emphasize bicycle and pedestrian travel systems?

      Purpose and Expected Impact

      The purpose of the conference is to explore breakthrough thinking on
      how transportation policy and planning should be framed. Can we
      identify new and better ways for addressing the challenges posed by
      traffic congestion and its impacts? The answer to this question will
      impact the future livability and economic competitiveness for the
      region and the state. In addition, the Twin Cities could serve as a
      model for other metropolitan regions in dealing with these issues. The
      Center and its partners bring nationally recognized expertise in
      transportation research and outreach to this initiative and the ability
      to attract participation from national experts in these areas. This
      program provides an opportunity for the University to develop new
      knowledge in the field of transportation research through the
      engagement of policymakers, practitioners, and the public. Engaging
      policymakers and the public provides the University with an opportunity
      to highlight our commitment to addressing issues and problems that are
      confronted by individuals and businesses on a daily basis.

      Conference Format

      This two-day conference is scheduled for November 8-9, 2004, on the
      University of Minnesota campus. It will feature a half-day of
      presentations and discussions open to public participation followed by
      a day-and-a-half of presentations and discussions with approximately 75
      invited-only participants and researchers.

      The public portion of the conference will feature a panel that will be
      focused on defining the issues in three topic areas – congestion, land
      use, and accessibility – followed by a panel that presents policy
      alternatives in the three areas. Six national academic experts are
      being invited to write a paper in one of the three topic areas that
      will either define the issue or identify policy alternatives. Their
      objective will be to provide insight on the issues described above and
      to discuss the current state of the practice nationally. Discussion
      regarding implications for Minnesota will be encouraged in the large
      group and in smaller groups during roundtable discussions at lunch.

      Additional papers are being solicited through this call for abstracts.
      These will be presented during the invited-only sessions that will
      follow the public portion.

      Submission

      Researchers with an interest in Accessibility are invited to submit
      abstracts for consideration. Accessibility is traditionally defined as
      the ease with which destinations (customers, suppliers, activities) can
      be reached, but this can be operationalized in many ways: for different
      travelers, to different destinations, using different means of travel,
      and incorporating different measures of travel quality.

      Papers breaking new ground or illustrating the state of art in
      applications and empirical research, theoretical, or methodological
      aspects of accessibility research are welcome. Multi-disciplinary
      approaches are also welcome.

      Abstracts (approximately 1,000 words) are due May 31, 2004 to David
      Levinson: levin031@...

      Authors of selected abstracts will be invited to submit a full paper
      (of approximately 5,000 - 7,500 words, in electronic format) by October
      4, 2004, which would be distributed to other conference presenters as
      well as participants. Presentations will be approximately 20 - 25
      minutes, leaving ample time for discussion and question and answer.

      An anticipated conference output will be a peer-reviewed proceedings in
      which selected papers from the conference would be featured. We
      envision that this would be in the form a book with a reputable
      publisher.

      There are limited funds available to reimburse expenses of presenters.
      Please make this request with your abstract.

      Regards,

      David Levinson and Kevin J. Krizek

      Dr. David Levinson
      Assistant Professor