Sustainable Mobility Principles, Practices & Priorities

  • Todd Alexander Litman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
      Dear Eric,

      This is a good start on an important issue.

      Your list seems to be a combination of sustainable transportation
      principles, practices, goals, objectives and indicators. The danger is that
      a list like that reflects your own special concerns and priorities, and so
      implies that sustainability is simply a matter of personal opinion or
      preference. For any sort of planning I think it is useful to start with
      general principles and work toward more specific practices, goals and
      objectives, and then choose suitable indicators.

      I define sustainability as a decision-making process that considers
      economic, social and environmental goals and impacts regardless of how
      difficult they are to measure, including impacts that occur to people who
      are distant in time and space. At a minimum, this should take into account
      the following:

      ECONOMIC IMPACTS
      Affordability
      Resource efficiency
      Cost internalization
      Trade and business activity
      Employment
      Productivity
      Tax burden

      SOCIAL IMPACTS
      Equity
      Human health
      Education
      Community
      Quality of life
      Public Participation

      ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
      Pollution prevention
      Climate protection
      Biodiversity
      Precautionary action
      Avoidance of irreversibility
      Habitat preservation
      Aesthetics

      With a set of evaluation criteria such as this you can evaluate to what
      degree a particular policy or program (such as increased carsharing
      availability and use) helps achieve sustainability, and how it can be
      designed to best achieve sustainability objectives. You can also define
      indicators, such as per-capita vehicle ownership and use, per capita
      transportation expenditures, which are not really goals (goals are what you
      ultimately want to achieve, such as healthy, accessibility, wealth, etc.),
      but which indicate progress toward goals.

      I recommend being very careful with the wording you use, such as "draconian
      reductions," and against focusing too much on any one interest group, no
      matter how deserving, such as "Protect children, provide them with healthy
      transport" (why are children deserving more consideration than people with
      disabilities, or peasants, or my mother-in-law?).

      For more information see the "Sustainable Transportation and TDM"
      (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm67.htm) and "Planning"
      (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm50.htm) chapters of our Online TDM Encyclopedia
      , and:

      Todd Litman, "Sustainable Transportation Indicators," VTPI (www.vtpi.org),
      2003.

      Todd Litman, “Reinventing Transportation; Exploring the Paradigm Shift
      Needed to Reconcile Sustainability and Transportation Objectives,”
      Transportation Research Record 1670, Transportation Research Board
      (www.trb.org), 1999, pp. 8-12; available at www.vtpi.org.

      Todd Litman and David Burwell, "Issues in Sustainable Transportation," VTPI
      (www.vtpi.org), 1999.

      Best wishes,
      -Todd Litman

      Sincerely,