Re: [WorldTransport Forum] necessary traffic

  • john.holtzclaw@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2004
      Todd is right. The level of traffic "necessary" is dependent on the
      internal convenience of the neighborhoods in the city and their convenience
      to the job centers, parks, etc. Convent neighborhoods have high density;
      abundant local shopping, schools and parks; safe walking conditions; and
      great public transit, and require little driving. Take Paris as an example:
      over half its households don't own a car, 54% of trips are walked, 29% are
      on public transit, and only 13% are by private car! Driving (VKT) is
      decreasing by 3% annually. So there is no reason to assume that more than
      13% of trips are necessarily driven in a well-designed city. Perhaps, even

      John Holtzclaw
      sprawl and transportation action -- http://www.SierraClub.org/sprawl
      This View of Density -- www.sflcv.org/density

      Simon Norton <s.norton@...>

      04/21/2004 06:05 AM

      Todd Litman suggested that there is no particular level of traffic which is
      "necessary". In pure supply/demand terms this may be true, but one must
      that a city, or a rural area for that matter, is an economy which depends
      transport for its functioning. However, it is certainly not true that the
      functioning of such areas has improved as their traffic levels have risen.
      let me rephrase my question as follows: what proportion of existing traffic
      levels in a typical city or rural area is essential to the functioning of
      area ? When I say "essential" I wish to exclude traffic which could
      transfer to
      other modes if appropriate provision was made, assuming that this provision
      to a reduction in traffic and a reduction in overall transport costs
      environmental costs currently externalised).

      As I said, I think that a study leading to such a figure should be a basic
      in assessing how to deal with the traffic problems of an area. At present
      it is
      all too common for pundits to ask what level of public transport provision
      essential to satisfy the needs of rural residents without cars (with
      often interpreted fairly narrowly and the requirements of visitors to such
      areas ignored completely), so why can't we ask what level of provision for
      is necessary ?

      Simon Norton

      Consult at: http://wTransport.org
      Yahoo! Groups Links