April 2, 2004: EU May Require Sustainable Transportation and Environment Plan

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004

      EU May Require Sustainable Transportation and Environment Plan
      EcoLinks News Service

      BRUSSELS, April 2, 2004 -- Europe’s 500 largest towns and cities may be required to implement sustainable urban transport plans and environmental management plans backed by an environmental management system (EMS), suggested by the European Commission. The specific actions and targets is up to local decision makers since they are most familiar with the local situations.

      The strategy is one of seven in progress under Europe’s sixth environmental action programme (ED 04/11/03). The idea of binding EU rules is part of a formal urban environment strategy due in summer 2005. The strategy will help Member States and local authorities meet demanding environmental requirements and help reduce negative impacts of towns and cities on the environment by developing an integrated framework to confront the complex issues that affect the urban environment.

      “As 80% of EU citizens live in towns and cities, it is very important to improve the quality of urban life,” said Environment Commissioner Margot Wallstrom. “Pollution, noise, heavy traffic and many other environmental problems are concentrated here. Meeting environmental targets and objectives is vital to making cities healthy places to live in. This is why we need a coordinated and coherent strategy. I am looking forward to discussing this with Member States and cities to ensure that we help them deliver a real change.”

      The commission is focusing on sustainable urban management and urban transport, as well as sustainable construction and design. The Commission is asking Member States and regional bodies to adopt strategies for improving the urban environment to provide support to local authorities.

      Link at http://www.earthvision.net/ColdFusion/News_Page1.cfm?NewsID=26623&start=1