RE: [WorldTransport Forum] Digest Number 149

  • Robert Moskowitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18 11:26 PM
      Hi,

      I'm in. What do I have to do.

      Robert (Moskowitz)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:19 PM
      To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [WorldTransport Forum] Digest Number 149

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Nomination for the WTN 2004 Environment Prize - Ken Livingston and
      the London road pricing crew
      From: <eric.britton@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:06:27 +0100
      From: <eric.britton@...>
      Subject: Nomination for the WTN 2004 Environment Prize - Ken Livingston and
      the London road pricing crew

      Paris, Wednesday, March 17, 2004

      On my way out the door for a conference on sustainable transportation,
      carsharing and a few other possibly related things (check it out under
      Events in the World Carshare Consortium at http://worldcarshare.com), a
      ‘bright’ idea came to me.

      I think that I am going to take advantage of some leverage that I happen
      to have to nominate Ken Livingston and his road pricing team in London
      for this years prestigious  WTN (World Technology Network) World
      Technology Award for Environment.

      Moreover, I thought that the whole thing might have even higher impact
      if any of you who care to do so might lend your name to this nomination.
      All it would take could be your agreement that this is maybe not such a
      bad idea and a quick email indicating that you are wiling to join me in
      this.

      Below is a bit of background on the Prize etc. which you may or my not
      wish to take the time to read.

      I look forward to your reactions.

      Eric

      For more information on the network and the Prize, I would point you to
      http://www.wtn.net/.  Now as it happens, I am one of the small group of
      people who are in a position to make this nomination.  And if that
      sounds a bit puffed up to you, let me explain why.  In fact, in good
      part (I believe) I was awarded this prize myself just month’s after our
      June 2001 final events in Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable
      Cities(see www.partnerships.stockholm.se) because of all SEVERAL HUNDRED
      OF US DID TOGETHER to make such a splendid event and network.  Unfair
      really to be honest, since I was singled out for an honor that properly
      belonged to all involved.  What I can say in my defense is that I
      mentioned in my acceptance speech that this was above all a team effort,
      and that I considered myself merely an agent of the City of Stockholm
      team under our energetic colleague Adam Holmstrom and his team, our
      wonderful international jury, but, above all, all of you the project
      teams.

      To give you a better sense of what this is all about, let me quote the
      WTN citation for the awards:

      “The World Technology Awards have been created to honour those
      individual leaders or, at times, co-equal teams from across the globe
      who most contribute to the advance of emerging technologies of all sorts
      for the benefit of business and society. We especially seek to honour
      those innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest
      likely future significance and impact over the long-term... and who will
      likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
      unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
      achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
      work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
      those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
      greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
      unexpected ways.”

    • Peter Newman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20 12:21 AM
        Add me to the list of people who would support a nomination for Ken. Peter
        --
        Professor Peter Newman
        Professor of City Policy,