RE: [WorldTransport Forum] Nomination for the WTN 2004 Environment Prize - Ken Livingston and the London road pricing crew

  • Cousins, Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2004
      Eric - Great idea - please add my name to the nomination of Ken. Steve Cousins

      Paris, Wednesday, March 17, 2004

      On my way out the door for a conference on sustainable transportation,
      carsharing and a few other possibly related things (check it out under
      Events in the World Carshare Consortium at http://worldcarshare.com), a
      'bright' idea came to me.

      I think that I am going to take advantage of some leverage that I happen
      to have to nominate Ken Livingston and his road pricing team in London
      for this years prestigious  WTN (World Technology Network) World
      Technology Award for Environment.

      Moreover, I thought that the whole thing might have even higher impact
      if any of you who care to do so might lend your name to this nomination.
      All it would take could be your agreement that this is maybe not such a
      bad idea and a quick email indicating that you are wiling to join me in
      this.

      Below is a bit of background on the Prize etc. which you may or my not
      wish to take the time to read.

      I look forward to your reactions.

      Eric

      For more information on the network and the Prize, I would point you to
      http://www.wtn.net/.  Now as it happens, I am one of the small group of
      people who are in a position to make this nomination.  And if that
      sounds a bit puffed up to you, let me explain why.  In fact, in good
      part (I believe) I was awarded this prize myself just month's after our
      June 2001 final events in Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable
      Cities(see www.partnerships.stockholm.se) because of all SEVERAL HUNDRED
      OF US DID TOGETHER to make such a splendid event and network.  Unfair
      really to be honest, since I was singled out for an honor that properly
      belonged to all involved.  What I can say in my defense is that I
      mentioned in my acceptance speech that this was above all a team effort,
      and that I considered myself merely an agent of the City of Stockholm
      team under our energetic colleague Adam Holmstrom and his team, our
      wonderful international jury, but, above all, all of you the project
      teams.

      To give you a better sense of what this is all about, let me quote the
      WTN citation for the awards:

      "The World Technology Awards have been created to honour those
      individual leaders or, at times, co-equal teams from across the globe
      who most contribute to the advance of emerging technologies of all sorts
      for the benefit of business and society. We especially seek to honour
      those innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest
      likely future significance and impact over the long-term... and who will
      likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
      unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
      achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
      work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
      those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
      greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
      unexpected ways."

      Consult at: http://wTransport.org
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • c.nwagboso@wlv.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2004
        Hi Eric

        Yes I will support Ken Livingstone for his nomination

        Profesor Chris Nwagboso
        Director
        Midlands Institute of Transport
        University of Wolverhampton
        Shifnal Road
        TELFORD
        UK

      • Neil Douglas
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
          All,

          Hear hear to Red Ken and his TfL crew who certainly did well in introducing
          a road charge but a World Technology Award for the Environment? It may be a
          "simple system" but is not the lack of "technology" making it a tad
          expensive to administer?

          Still with no other "celeb" in the running, Red Ken can have my "vote".

          Neil Douglas .

          PS I hope the prize is not a Toyota or such like with all the mod cons (I
          think Ken has recently passed his driving test).

          Prize - Ken Livingston and the London road pricing crew

          Dear Eric
          Good Idea. I support it

          Jan Gehl
          Professor, Dr.Litt
          Center for Public Space Research
          School of Architecture
          The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
          Copenhagen

          (Member of the Public Realm Advisory Board organized by Greater London
          Authority to transfer the roadspace left empty due to the Congestion
          Charge into improving quality for other groups of City Users in Central
          London i.e. pedestrians and bicyclists)

          Den 17/3-2004, kl. 6.06, skrev <eric.britton@...>:

> [...]
          > those innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest
          > likely future significance and impact over the long-term... and who
          > will
          > likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
          > unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
          > achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
          > work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
          > those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
          > greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
          > unexpected ways.”

          > ---------------------~-->
          > KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most
          > comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare,
          > decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare

          Jan Gehl, Arkitekt.m.a.a., Professor, Dr.Litt.,
          Damstien 27
          Dk 2720, Vanløse
          Denmark

          Home: +45 38 71 31 12
          Office: +45 32 950 951
          www.gehlarchitects.dk

          Consult at: http://wTransport.org
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Maria Attard
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
            Been to a recent presentation on London Congestion Charge and I think
            they deserve the WTN2004 for all the work done.

            I support the nomination.

            Maria

            Maria Attard
            Assistant Lecturer
            GIS Laboratory
            Geography Division
            University of Malta
            Msida MSD 06
            Malta
            Tel: 00356 2340 2147
            Fax: 00356 21343397
            Email: maria.attard@...
            Links:
            http://staff.um.edu.mt/mbona
            http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/people/Maria.htm

> [...]

            > will
            > likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
            > unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
            > achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
            > work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
            > those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
            > greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
            > unexpected ways.”

            > ---------------------~-->
            > KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most
            > comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare,
            > decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare
            > | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/2GfwlB/TM

            Jan Gehl, Arkitekt.m.a.a., Professor, Dr.Litt.,

          • Tracey Axelsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
              I've used the Congestion Charge model in speaking engagements and really think it's great.  Therefore I wholly support the nomination.

              Tracey Axelsson
              Co-operative Auto Network

              At 09:58 AM 04/03/22 +0100, you wrote:
              >Been to a recent presentation on London Congestion Charge and I
              think
              >they deserve the WTN2004 for all the work done.
              >
              >I support the nomination.
              >
              >Maria
              >
              >Maria Attard
              >Assistant Lecturer
              >GIS Laboratory
              >Geography Division
              >University of Malta
              >Msida MSD 06
              >Malta
              >Tel: 00356 2340 2147
              >Fax: 00356 21343397
              >Email: maria.attard@...

              Cheers,  Tracey!

              Tracey Axelsson
              Executive Director

              CAN Co-operative Auto Network                                                                a car sharing co-op
              205 - 470 Granville Street  Vancouver, BC   V6C 1V5                                          604/685-1393