RE: [WorldTransport Forum] Nomination for the WTN 2004 Environment Prize - Ken Livingston and the London road pricing crew

  • Peter.WIEDERKEHR@oecd.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2004
      Hi Eric,

      I'd agree, if it weren't a technology price, as the London solution is not
      the best technology solution. It was apragmatic decision to use available
      proven technology and the operating costs are quite high (some 50% of the
      revenue generated).
      I would say automatic métro systems in Lille and Paris are a better techno
      window and if you'd really propose a hero. I'd suggest not the one that gets
      all attention anyway like London's mayor rather the really genuine hero of
      the RAVEL programme in Belgium who had the outstanding idea to convert
      unused rail tracks into a large network for non-motorised, independent and
      safe network, mainly used for bycicling and walking (by children to go to
      school and for leisure travel). That's in my view a real innovation - to date
      it has 2500 km.!! And it was very cheap and has tremendous benefits ! What
      was the surface of the cordon pricing scheme again some 50km2??? ...and that
      wealthy people again are not affected and don't need to pay as they are
      living inside the area and drive around for free...
      The other hero will come from Sweden from their congestion charging scheme.

      Best,
      Peter

      P.s. if you'd really want a techno freak to propose for the price, it should
      be the CEOs of DaimlerChrysler and Deutsche telecom for the outstanding work
      to screw-up the toll collection scheme in Germany

      Paris, Wednesday, March 17, 2004

      On my way out the door for a conference on sustainable transportation,
      carsharing and a few other possibly related things (check it out under Events
      in the World Carshare Consortium at http://worldcarshare.com), a 'bright'
      idea came to me.

      I think that I am going to take advantage of some leverage that I happen to
      have to nominate Ken Livingston and his road pricing team in London for this
      years prestigious  WTN (World Technology Network) World Technology Award for
      Environment.

      Moreover, I thought that the whole thing might have even higher impact if any
      of you who care to do so might lend your name to this nomination. All it
      would take could be your agreement that this is maybe not such a bad idea and
      a quick email indicating that you are wiling to join me in this.

      Below is a bit of background on the Prize etc. which you may or my not wish
      to take the time to read.

      I look forward to your reactions.

      Eric

      For more information on the network and the Prize, I would point you to
      http://www.wtn.net/.  Now as it happens, I am one of the small group of
      people who are in a position to make this nomination.  And if that sounds a
      bit puffed up to you, let me explain why.  In fact, in good part (I believe)
      I was awarded this prize myself just month's after our June 2001 final events
      in Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities(see
      www.partnerships.stockholm.se) because of all SEVERAL HUNDRED OF US DID
      TOGETHER to make such a splendid event and network.  Unfair really to be
      honest, since I was singled out for an honor that properly belonged to all
      involved.  What I can say in my defense is that I mentioned in my acceptance
      speech that this was above all a team effort, and that I considered myself
      merely an agent of the City of Stockholm team under our energetic colleague
      Adam Holmstrom and his team, our wonderful international jury, but, above
      all, all of you the project teams.

      To give you a better sense of what this is all about, let me quote the WTN
      citation for the awards:

      "The World Technology Awards have been created to honour those individual
      leaders or, at times, co-equal teams from across the globe who most
      contribute to the advance of emerging technologies of all sorts for the
      benefit of business and society. We especially seek to honour those
      innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest likely future
      significance and impact over the long-term... and who will likely become or
      remain "key players" in the technological drama unfolding in coming years.
      These awards are not necessarily "lifetime achievement" awards, nor are they
      particularly for individuals whose work of greatest significance was less
      than recent. These are about those individuals whose work today will, in our
      opinion, create the greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both
      expected and unexpected ways."

      Consult at: http://wTransport.org
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Cousins, Steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2004
        Eric - Great idea - please add my name to the nomination of Ken. Steve Cousins

        Prize - Ken Livingston and the London road pricing crew

        Paris, Wednesday, March 17, 2004

      • c.nwagboso@wlv.ac.uk
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2004
          Hi Eric

          Yes I will support Ken Livingstone for his nomination

          Profesor Chris Nwagboso
          Director
          Midlands Institute of Transport
          University of Wolverhampton
          Shifnal Road
          TELFORD
          UK

        • Neil Douglas
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
            All,

            Hear hear to Red Ken and his TfL crew who certainly did well in introducing
            a road charge but a World Technology Award for the Environment? It may be a
            "simple system" but is not the lack of "technology" making it a tad
            expensive to administer?

            Still with no other "celeb" in the running, Red Ken can have my "vote".

            Neil Douglas .

            PS I hope the prize is not a Toyota or such like with all the mod cons (I
            think Ken has recently passed his driving test).

            Prize - Ken Livingston and the London road pricing crew

            Dear Eric
            Good Idea. I support it

            Jan Gehl
            Professor, Dr.Litt
            Center for Public Space Research
            School of Architecture
            The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
            Copenhagen

            (Member of the Public Realm Advisory Board organized by Greater London
            Authority to transfer the roadspace left empty due to the Congestion
            Charge into improving quality for other groups of City Users in Central
            London i.e. pedestrians and bicyclists)

            Den 17/3-2004, kl. 6.06, skrev <eric.britton@...>:

> [...]
            > those innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest
            > likely future significance and impact over the long-term... and who
            > will
            > likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
            > unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
            > achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
            > work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
            > those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
            > greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
            > unexpected ways.”

            > ---------------------~-->
            > KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most
            > comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare,
            > decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare

            Jan Gehl, Arkitekt.m.a.a., Professor, Dr.Litt.,
            Damstien 27
            Dk 2720, Vanløse
            Denmark

            Home: +45 38 71 31 12
            Office: +45 32 950 951
            www.gehlarchitects.dk

            Consult at: http://wTransport.org
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Maria Attard
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
              Been to a recent presentation on London Congestion Charge and I think
              they deserve the WTN2004 for all the work done.

              I support the nomination.

              Maria

              Maria Attard
              Assistant Lecturer
              GIS Laboratory
              Geography Division
              University of Malta
              Msida MSD 06
              Malta
              Tel: 00356 2340 2147
              Fax: 00356 21343397
              Email: maria.attard@...
              Links:
              http://staff.um.edu.mt/mbona
              http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/people/Maria.htm

> [...]

              > will
              > likely become or remain "key players" in the technological drama
              > unfolding in coming years. These awards are not necessarily "lifetime
              > achievement" awards, nor are they particularly for individuals whose
              > work of greatest significance was less than recent. These are about
              > those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the
              > greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and
              > unexpected ways.”

              > ---------------------~-->
              > KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most
              > comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare,
              > decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare
              > | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/2GfwlB/TM

              Jan Gehl, Arkitekt.m.a.a., Professor, Dr.Litt.,

            • Tracey Axelsson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
                I've used the Congestion Charge model in speaking engagements and really think it's great.  Therefore I wholly support the nomination.

                Tracey Axelsson
                Co-operative Auto Network

                At 09:58 AM 04/03/22 +0100, you wrote:
                >Been to a recent presentation on London Congestion Charge and I
                think
                >they deserve the WTN2004 for all the work done.
                >
                >I support the nomination.
                >
                >Maria
                >
                >Maria Attard
                >Assistant Lecturer
                >GIS Laboratory
                >Geography Division
                >University of Malta
                >Msida MSD 06
                >Malta
                >Tel: 00356 2340 2147
                >Fax: 00356 21343397
                >Email: maria.attard@...

                Cheers,  Tracey!

                Tracey Axelsson
                Executive Director

                CAN Co-operative Auto Network                                                                a car sharing co-op
                205 - 470 Granville Street  Vancouver, BC   V6C 1V5                                          604/685-1393