The Commons and the Copenhagen Consensus

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2004
      As part of a major overhaul of our program sites, I would like to reach
      a bit beyond, or more accurately beneath, the problematic of sustainable
      transport that is our usual concern here , and draw your attention to an
      idea-mongering activity that my colleagues and I find extremely
      interesting. To this end I invite you to visit <http://ecoplan.org/>
      The Commons at http://ecoplan.org in order to see a new link that we
      established just today linking to what we consider to be an extremely
      important ongoing international brainstorming exercise on the
      underpinnings of sustainable development. Briefly here is how they
      introduce themselves:

      Copenhagen Consensus is based on the aim to improve prioritization of
      limited means. The world is faced with a countless number of challenges
      such as diseases, environmental degradation, armed conflicts and
      financial instability. Copenhagen Consensus takes a new and
      critical-analytical approach to assessing the effects of international
      opportunities for solving the challenges. Copenhagen Consensus
      addresses major challenges in the world. The purpose is to prioritize
      opportunities for solving these challenges by cost and benefit. This
      ranking is meant to serve as a guideline for decision-makers all over
      the world. To do this the institute assembled a panel of nine of the
      world's most distinguished economists. Four of them are Nobel laureates
      . . .

      Their web site - directly clickable from The Commons - is at
      <http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com/>
      http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com/. And there is a good article
      outlining goals, etc. in the latest Economist at
      <http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=2478902>
      http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=2478902 .

      My first objective in writing you this note is to draw this important
      exercise to your attention, just in case you had missed it. The second
      is to invite comment and discussion in our little used Discussion Forum
      for The Commons at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the-commons/>
      <mailto:the-commons@yahoogroups.com> the-commons@yahoogroups.com.

      I look forward with interest to hearing the reactions and suggestions of
      our colleagues on this initiative which strikes me as highly imaginative
      and potentially very useful. (Wish I had done it myself.) And if you
      can think of others who may wish to join in the exchanges, please either
      let me know directly or send them to the site where they can see how to
      sign into the Forum themselves.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__
      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris, France
      Tel. +331 4326 1323 Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896
      http://www.ecoplan.org IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.149
      Personal webpage: www.EricBritton.org

      Email: <mailto:Eric.Britton@...> Eric.Britton@... or
      <mailto:ecoplan.adsl@...> ecoplan.adsl@...

      This email, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for the
      confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
      email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
      copying of this message, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
      prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please notify me
      immediately by telephone and permanently delete the original and any
      copy of this email including any attachments thereto, and any printouts
      thereof.
      ---
      2003. Version 9.05.15