Re: [WorldTransport Forum] Land Value - example of lost benefit

  • Todd Alexander Litman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2004
      For a comprehensive summary of studies of the property value impacts of
      transit see "FINANCING TRANSIT SYSTEMS THROUGH VALUE CAPTURE: AN ANNOTATED
      BIBLIOGRAPHY" by Jeffery J. Smith and Thomas A. Gihring, available at the
      Victoria Transport Policy Institute website: (http://www.vtpi.org/smith.htm).

      Please let us know if you uncover any additional quantitative studies.

      Best wishes,
      -Todd Litman

      At 08:54 PM 2/18/2004 +1000, Michael Yeates wrote:
      > >Lanark has over the past year or so experienced a 40% rise in house prices.
      > >One cannot help but note the link between this and the increase to a 30
      > >minute frequency train service.
      > >
      > >The other detail which is worth working on is the enthusiesm for initiatives
      > >featured in Making Cities Work (published this week) with authors George
      > >Hazel and Roger Parry - the latter being CEO of Clear Channel International.
      > >The book and associated project/competition is featured on
      > >www.makingcitieswork.com and the book notes the success of the Brisbane
      > >busway, rasining land values 20% in 3 months compared to a 6% figure for non
      > >connected land.
      > >
      > >Oh that we could mobilise that land value factor as well as the Metropolitan
      > >Railway Company did (by buying up adjoining land and building the houses on
      > >it).
      > >

      > >David Reed.
      > >

      > >Or better still, not go for a single hit, but collect a Location Benefit
      > >Levy or Land Value Tax - which would create a revenue stream for future
      > >transport projects - year in and year out!
      > >

      > >Dave
      > >
      > >Dave Wetzel
      > >Vice-Chair
      > >Transport for London