Re: [WorldTransport Forum] Land Value - example of lost benefit

  • Michael Yeates
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18 2:54 AM
      Being resident in Brisbane, the problem with the Busways is that the
      intended network will cost >$1billion ... and the effect is to create a
      separate Bus (Free)way system through the suburbs ... rather than provide a
      far more extensive network of bus lanes on EXISTING road space ... so one
      reason for the increase in prices is likely to be the improved car access
      given fewer buses now travel on the roads ...!

      We also know that the "success" of the Busway includes a large number of
      induced ADDITIONAL trips now that it is so easy to travel to the CBD ...
      when previously it would not have been practical given traffic congestion
      and parking. I my view it is a vexed question whether to include these
      trips eg to the CBD for lunch, as a useful contribution.

      Similarly, the Busways further emphasise the radial CBD focus but do little
      if anything for circumferential trips and multi-modal trips given that
      unlike most other comparable cities, Brisbane also has an excellent
      suburban rail system ... but buses rarely provide an integrated service
      with the trains ...! Check this out at the TransInfo website ...!

      The other issue is the increase in prices simply generates more revenue for
      the local authority but the revenue is not ring fenced ... so it could be
      being used to build more road capacity ... to create more low density
      sprawl ....!

      I often wonder about these land/house price increases ...

      Michael
      Yeates...........................................................................

    • Wetzel Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19 3:31 AM
        Michael
        Many thanks for this valuable local perspective on the Brisbane Busways.
        I'm not in a position to support or oppose the Brisbane Busways, but I would
        like to comment on some of the issues you raise.

        1. The desirability for segregated Busways as opposed to bus lanes on
        existing roads.

        In London we have not the space for too many segregated Busways, but I must
        admit, I had always assumed them preferable to bus lanes that cars could
        easily infringe upon and that therefore either operated inefficiently or
        needed expensive enforcement with cameras and police time.
        In the light of your experience perhaps I now need to think again!
        Of course, the extra road capacity attracting more cars problem could be
        dealt with by replacing an existing traffic lane with grass verges, wider
        pavements for peds or new cycle tracks. In London we have a bus priority
        programme and our Mayor has introduced congestion charging to discourage
        unnecessary car use in the centre which now gives us the problem of our
        buses running early!

        2. The integration of public transport services to cater for orbital as well
        as radial journeys.

        This surely is a local decision that could be reversed.
        It is a familiar problem to us where traffic engineers in the past have
        usually favoured the radial peak-time car commuters at the expense of
        orbital movements. This is seen in terms of road construction since the
        second world war, the phasing of traffic lights and junction layouts.
        Happily, it is much easier now to advocate the case that new road building
        simply adds to traffic problems, it does not cure them.
        Similarly, most of our railways, (many dating back to Victorian times)
        provide mostly for radial movements to the centre and very few opportunities
        for orbital movements or interchanges. (Competing private railways didn't
        want to lose their paxs by building a station where they crossed another's
        line). In London we are using buses to cater for these movements. With the
        Mayor's policies since 2000 we have increased our bus fleet, integrated
        cheaper ticketing between modes, introduced over 30 new bus policy
        initiatives and witnessed a staggering 30% increase in bus patronage at a
        time when most of the UK is losing bus paxs.

        3. Extra income may be used to build new roads.
        This is not inevitable. Again, surely a local decision? In London our Mayor
        is using congestion charge net income (£90m next year) to help fund buses,
        walking and cycling initiatives.

        4. Urban sprawl associated with car use.
        This is where the idea of Land Value Taxation (LVT) or a Location Benefit
        Levy (LBL) comes into its own!
        If it becomes expensive to hold unused land in towns or cities then the
        landowners will put their sites to good use in providing homes and jobs.
        This releases the pressure for urban sprawl. Where LVT applies, (even with
        only a 1% LVT), they reap this benefit and their towns are more compact

        5. Unnecessary induced trips.
        These can be mitigated by better planning providing facilities close to
        where people live and work. However, are we really equipped to judge the
        value of a person's trip? A similar argument is used here to oppose our
        policy of free fares for pensioners. They dare to use their passes to enjoy
        the travel journey itself and being out of doors meeting people, rather than
        actually using the public transport to visit amenities (theatre, cinema,
        restaurants etc.) that they can't afford.

        Of course, none of the transport planning problems you raise are an argument
        against LVT. In fact, if our transport policies add to land values then
        surely there can be no argument why landowners should be the beneficiaries
        and not the taxpayers and riders who have paid for the transport.

      • Todd Alexander Litman
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19 7:29 AM
          For a comprehensive summary of studies of the property value impacts of
          transit see "FINANCING TRANSIT SYSTEMS THROUGH VALUE CAPTURE: AN ANNOTATED
          BIBLIOGRAPHY" by Jeffery J. Smith and Thomas A. Gihring, available at the
          Victoria Transport Policy Institute website: (http://www.vtpi.org/smith.htm).

          Please let us know if you uncover any additional quantitative studies.

          Best wishes,
          -Todd Litman

          At 08:54 PM 2/18/2004 +1000, Michael Yeates wrote:
          > >Lanark has over the past year or so experienced a 40% rise in house prices.
          > >One cannot help but note the link between this and the increase to a 30
          > >minute frequency train service.
          > >
          > >The other detail which is worth working on is the enthusiesm for initiatives
          > >featured in Making Cities Work (published this week) with authors George
          > >Hazel and Roger Parry - the latter being CEO of Clear Channel International.
          > >The book and associated project/competition is featured on
          > >www.makingcitieswork.com and the book notes the success of the Brisbane
          > >busway, rasining land values 20% in 3 months compared to a 6% figure for non
          > >connected land.
          > >
          > >Oh that we could mobilise that land value factor as well as the Metropolitan
          > >Railway Company did (by buying up adjoining land and building the houses on
          > >it).
          > >

          > >David Reed.
          > >

          > >Or better still, not go for a single hit, but collect a Location Benefit
          > >Levy or Land Value Tax - which would create a revenue stream for future
          > >transport projects - year in and year out!
          > >

          > >Dave
          > >
          > >Dave Wetzel
          > >Vice-Chair
          > >Transport for London