Re: WorldTransport Forum Call for Authors: SAGE Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy [4 Attachments]

  • Lake Sagaris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
    Hello Sue

    Thanks for this information. I went through the documents but could not find a deadline for submissions or a schedule for the process. This would be helpful to plan adequately and make  fulfillable commitments.

    I have worked extensively in the field and have just completed a doctorate on citizen participation in urban and particularly transport planning, and have also written and presented on this topic in diverse forums. Most recently, I have contributed the chapters on citizen participation to the new edition of the GIZ (German Development Agency) manual on Bus Rapid Transit development, and a Danish-Peruvian book on cycling-inclusive planning (see my CV for details).

    I have also worked since 2007 with Dutch experts teaching cycling-inclusive transport expertise, and participated in improving the cycling master plan, cataloguing and evaluating its advances, and developing improved standards for Santiago, as well as travelling extensively to visit advanced and transitional cities grappling with these issues (see CV for list). In addition, I did my master's degree on cycling-transit integration, co-authored a chapter on this subject for the I-CE/GIZ manual on cycling policy, and have continued to write and present on these topics.

    Based on these experiences, and depending on your deadlines, I would be interested in contributing the following sections to the encyclopedia:

    Bicycle-Transit linkages, 1,500 words
    Bikeways/Bike Lanes, Road Design issues of, 2,500 words
    Public participation, role in transport planning, 3,000 words
    Green transportation, 4,000 words.

    I was disappointed, in a social science approach, that you have not included anti-highway movements and their impacts on urban planning, which were substantial in North America and Europe in the 1970s-1990s, and are beginning to emerge in developing countries, such as Pakistan and Chile, where the case study for my dissertation was located. I was also surprised to see no entry for civil society participation in transport planning, which goes beyond the project-based approach to public participation suggested by your entry, to examine the importance of active civil society organizations to achieve significant paradigm shifts in transport planning. This occurred in the Netherlands, for example, over a 30-year policy horizon, and is clearly apparent in cycling's role today. In contrast, lack of similar pro-movements and the presence of anti-movements has hampered BRT and other more sustainable transport developments in many places.

    Attached my CV. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

    Yours sincerely

    Lake

    Dr. Lake Sagaris
    M. Sc. and PhD Urban planning and community development
    Research Fellow Transport Engineering Department, P. Catholic University of Chile
    Urban advisor, Ciudad Viva (Living City)