More Indian outrage

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2013
      There was an article in the latest issue of the "New Internationalist" which I
      found at least as shocking as the recent gang rapes, even if the actual impact
      on the victim was less.

      This is the article "A ferocious sense of entitlement" by Urvashi Butalia,
      mentioned on <http://www.newint.org/issues/2013/01/01>. The article itself
      doesn't seem to be on the website, but maybe someone can find a reference to the
      incident in question which is on the web somewhere, in which case I recommend
      that it be posted on the "worst practices" site.

      What happened is that in the writer's neighbourhood a "feral rich" motorist (the
      theme of the issue is the feral rich) drove along a street where a street market
      was being held, and, angry with a stallholder who wouldn't get out of his way,
      upset the stall in question and assaulted its proprietor, then drove off. As a
      result the stallholders have been frightened off, the market has disintegrated,
      and the street is now a speedway for cars.

      Presumably nobody took his registration number and complained to the police,
      perhaps because they thought that they would be ignored; or maybe someone did
      complain and was ignored. As I said, the article shocked me, but I strongly
      suspect that some of our Indian friends will tell me that it is all too typical
      of the stratification of their society. Any comments on this ?

      Simon Norton