Call for Authors: SAGE Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy

  • Sue Moskowitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
    Call for Authors: SAGE Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy

    We are inviting editorial contributors to The Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy, a new 4-volume reference to be published by SAGE Publications. Article submission deadline is May 12, 2013.

    How are decisions about transportation priorities and policies made? What are the social costs when highways divide communities or leave them behind, or when an airport is expanded near a poor neighborhood? In an age of indiscriminate terrorism, how do we secure key nodes on transport systems in ways that don’t unreasonably constrict those very systems? Should transportation systems be publicly or privately funded and managed? What are the social and financial costs of gridlock in our cities?

    The Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy will address such questions and introduces students to the vital topic of transportation via the lens of multiple disciplines within the social sciences and related fields including geography, public policy, business, and economics. Standing apart from existing reference works on transportation focusing on historical or on technical aspects; this academic work is centered on current social, economic, and policy aspects. Four volumes are included in the set containing approximately 700 signed entries with cross-references and suggestions for further readings. The signed articles are accompanied by pedagogical elements, including the Reader’s Guide, Chronology of Transportation Policy, Resource Guide, Glossary, and thorough index.

    This comprehensive project will be marketed to academic and public libraries as a print and digital product available to students via the library’s electronic services. The General Editor, who will be reviewing each submission to the project, is Dr. Mark Garrett, Ohio State University.

    If you are interested in contributing to this cutting-edge reference, it is a unique opportunity to contribute to the contemporary literature, redefining sociological issues in today’s terms. Moreover, it can be a notable publication addition to your CV/resume and broaden your publishing credits. SAGE Publications offers an honorarium ranging from SAGE book credits for smaller articles up to a free set of the printed product for contributions totaling 10,000 words or more.

    The list of available articles is attached, please select the articles that best fit your expertise and interests. Email your selection to me and I will confirm availability and assignment. Additionally, the Sample Article, Submission Guidelines and Reader’s Guide are provided which detail article specifications.

    Please provide your CV or a brief summary of your academic/publishing credentials in related disciplines.

    Sue Moskowitz
    Director of Author Recruitment
    Golson Media

  • Lake Sagaris
    Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
    Hello Sue

    Thanks for this information. I went through the documents but could not find a deadline for submissions or a schedule for the process. This would be helpful to plan adequately and make  fulfillable commitments.

    I have worked extensively in the field and have just completed a doctorate on citizen participation in urban and particularly transport planning, and have also written and presented on this topic in diverse forums. Most recently, I have contributed the chapters on citizen participation to the new edition of the GIZ (German Development Agency) manual on Bus Rapid Transit development, and a Danish-Peruvian book on cycling-inclusive planning (see my CV for details).

    I have also worked since 2007 with Dutch experts teaching cycling-inclusive transport expertise, and participated in improving the cycling master plan, cataloguing and evaluating its advances, and developing improved standards for Santiago, as well as travelling extensively to visit advanced and transitional cities grappling with these issues (see CV for list). In addition, I did my master's degree on cycling-transit integration, co-authored a chapter on this subject for the I-CE/GIZ manual on cycling policy, and have continued to write and present on these topics.

    Based on these experiences, and depending on your deadlines, I would be interested in contributing the following sections to the encyclopedia:

    Bicycle-Transit linkages, 1,500 words
    Bikeways/Bike Lanes, Road Design issues of, 2,500 words
    Public participation, role in transport planning, 3,000 words
    Green transportation, 4,000 words.

    I was disappointed, in a social science approach, that you have not included anti-highway movements and their impacts on urban planning, which were substantial in North America and Europe in the 1970s-1990s, and are beginning to emerge in developing countries, such as Pakistan and Chile, where the case study for my dissertation was located. I was also surprised to see no entry for civil society participation in transport planning, which goes beyond the project-based approach to public participation suggested by your entry, to examine the importance of active civil society organizations to achieve significant paradigm shifts in transport planning. This occurred in the Netherlands, for example, over a 30-year policy horizon, and is clearly apparent in cycling's role today. In contrast, lack of similar pro-movements and the presence of anti-movements has hampered BRT and other more sustainable transport developments in many places.

    Attached my CV. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

    Yours sincerely

    Dr. Lake Sagaris
    M. Sc. and PhD Urban planning and community development
    Research Fellow Transport Engineering Department, P. Catholic University of Chile
    Urban advisor, Ciudad Viva (Living City)