Happy New Year and BTW what is the New Mobility Agenda all about?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013

      This is to invite your attention to a New Year's Day offering on Network Dispatches which will I am sure interest at least some of you, and if you have comments or suggestions for improvement, this would be a great time to have them.

      The full piece is available at www.networkdispatches.org. Here you have the first paragraphs:

      What is the New Mobility Agenda?  2013 Style

      To kick off the New Year, it would seem like a good idea for us to remind our readers and contributors (and ourselves) of what we think this phrase means. This is important here since these words are at the core of what World Streets is all about, as well as the main meat of our in-process  collaborative book for 2013, No Excuses, Sir!  (A tale of cities, indolence, complexity and, finally,  simplicity) .

      This phrase, which has been around since 1988, has two main facets.  First it encompasses  a wide range of transportation service and access arrangements, new mobility in short.  Second, comes the Agenda part, basically the manner in which we can build a strategy which will enable our cities to move toward a much broader and more efficient range of mobility and access alternatives.  Let's start with the service end of things.

      Old Mobility

      But before we dig into new mobility, let's take a moment to review quickly what the other thing, "old mobility" is all about.

      It's simple. The sole of the unnamed but no less real  Old Mobility Agenda was to have a structured, ambitious, highly costly and often highly destructive in human and social  terms for all that relates to motorized transport, the golden-haired poster child of the twentieth century.

      Beyond this, but at a far lower level of cost and structured attention has been traditional public transport, which with a few notable exceptions boils down in most places to -- sorry! --  poor folks transport (i.e., something along the lines of minimum mobility for all those who are not able to own and operate their own cars).  And even in places that have over the last three decades  spent billions to create fixed rout scheduled services, public transport has remained the very poor cousin of the car-oriented policy and investment practices of most city and national governments.

      New Mobility =Transport/Mobility/Access/Presence

      Now that we have that clear, on to New Mobility which offers a much broader range of movement, access and strategic alternatives.  Let's get started with . . .

      [The seven pillars et al follow here: http://wp.me/p1fsqb-131 ]