Re: [NewMobilityCafe] "Travel-Time Budget" for Twitter et al

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2012
      you mention social media as a form of mobility.  I can't claim to have read all the great work that's out there on agglomeration economies and transportation.  HOWEVER, David Engwicht's _Reclaiming Our Cities and Towns: Better Living Through Less Traffic_, has an incredibly great discussion and a diagram on how cities were created to facilitate (all forms of) exchange, and the impact of devoting space to auto traffic at the expense of other modes reduces the spaces made available to facilitate exchange.

      Social media is another form of exchange.  It facilitates interaction.  But like induced demand with adding roadway lanes, social media induces "time demand".  In the US, it is argued that part of the decline in car purchasing is because of the increased use of social media within younger demographics.

      Richard Layman