"Thinking about Equity-Based Transport Systems: Get Ready to Embrace Complexity (or Get Off the Bridge)"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2012
      WordPress.com

      New comment waiting approval on World Streets: The Politics of Transport in Cities

      Hi Eric,

      This is all brilliant work. And I will use it here in Halifax - we're about to elect a new Mayor and City Council in six weeks.

      I'd like to suggest a small but important semantic shift in conversing about our situations and solutions, from using the word "transportation" to using "mobility", going from "Thinking about Equity-Based Transport Systems: …" to "Thinking about Equity-Based Mobility Solutions: …"
      "Transportation" is first about the tools, is the semantic cloud of hardware (cars, roads, bridges) and rules of the road, .... .
      "Mobility" is the human objective, as is equity. What are we looking to do? Move ourselves, our families, friends, possessions from hither to yon... with human equity, as conveniently, safely, ecologically, & sanely as possible.

      Peter Zimmer
      General Manager, co-owner
      CarShareHFX , Halifax NS Canada

      More information about Peter Zimmer

      IP: 24.215.119.11, blk-215-119-11.eastlink.ca
      E-mail: pzimmer@...
      Whois: http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/24.215.119.11