the single concept of EQUITY

  • FEKBRITTON
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2012
      Not meaning to talk all the time about the same subject, but our position
      (my position) is that if we wisely base all aspects of our
      transport/mobility system investments and policies on the single concept of
      EQUITY, just about all the injustices and stupidities (and heresies -- I
      liked that a lot Alok) wash right out of the system. ( A bit on that in
      process at http://equitytransport.wordpress.com/.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2012
        Madhav and others,

        I could not agree more. Bearing in mind that economics is in fact a branch
        of moral philosophy (True for Adam Smith and true too for us today if you
        think about it), in situations like this where some folks and schools have
        run amuck with unthoughtout mechanistic notions that confuse economics with
        a sort of indifferent plumbing, it is always a good idea to look around and
        try to figure out what really is going on.

        So when you talk about Chambers ("putting the last first") and Gandhi, let
        me add to your pantheon the great democrat Victor Hugo who put it more of
        less like this (my translation and memory): We must learn to replace the
        notion of charity with a far better one, solidarity.

        The point in all this being that if we get our ethics right, we are going to
        be far less likely to run into these silly and oh so harmful "traps of
        technicity gone berserk").

        Now back to EQUITY!