Hacking Sustainability: Part 1

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2012
      Where can we find this app?

      The idea is familiar: i.e., making use of the smart phone with GPS in our pocket, and putting it to work to help us calibrate and understand a range of interconnected variables related to our mobility choices. Both (a) as the now more familiar on-line information system that can help us make better travel choices, and, less well known, (b) as a feedback system which will permit us to understand the key implications of those specific choices. Including where we travel, when and how -- and as a result the health, economics and environmental impacts of our choices, and if possible both personal and collective. Think of such an app as a healthy mobility feedback kit in our pocket.

      There are of course literally thousands of transport apps out there today of various intentions and quality, a number of them really excellent. But where are the ones that also provide user feedback and decision criteria on (a) those specific mobility choices and (b) their impacts on health, environment, economics? Does such an app exist, and if so please share your information with us so that we all can have a look and learn from good examples?

      For starters and to do the full job, these apps would have to provide the more usual functions of the full range of mobility choices open to each of us, in that place and at that time: both the phone and database know who you are, your location, and to a certain extent your historic transport preferences. On that base you then tap in your desired destination, desired time or conditions of transit (either right now or scheduled at some future time as you prefer). Your app will then present what it guesses are your likely preferences stacked and presented to you in the order that the database knows you usually prefer -- as well as the by now pretty usual range of information on likely time in transit, CO2 impacts, etc., etc. Handy stuff and pretty well served by many apps already out there doing the job in different places.

      Again we open up this kind of tool and use it not because we HAVE to -- but because we figure it is in our interest to do so. And of course once we get the habit, we just do it without really thinking about it. And in the process we have moved up the effectiveness scale from active to passive reactions, the latter being far more powerful. Just the kind of thing that is needed to get on the path to sustainability.

      But that's just the first layer. However before we get to the second layer, a few quick words about the challenge of sustainability on our benighted wheezing planet.

      At the heart of the move to sustainability, in all senses, is the idea that we, one by one, are going to have to modify our behavior and replace many old habits, some bad, with ones that may benefit us, both personally and collectively Now we are not taking about "behavior modification" at the hands of some dark government agency or merciless Soviet doctor/scientist sitting at a threatening console controlling electrodes attached to our who-knows-where parts. But rather a personal willingness of our part to change, if only a bit, simply we understand that this or that decision and action will be to our personal benefit. And perhaps, why not?, beneficial in some small way to society as a whole. Changing because we want to, not because we are forced to.

      Now back to that app. What I want it to tell me is, for example, if I walk or bike on my next trip, or hop into my car, what will be the personal health impacts of my choice. And if possible not simply in the frame of calories burned, but also against the backdrop of a more personalized health database/app.

      Ditto for the financial impacts (on my purse and that of the community as a whole), the effect on traffic, the environmental impacts, etc. And so on down the mobility choice chain.

      Our good app might at the end of each week/month present us with a summary of the various key implications of our aggregate mobility choices over that period.

      Finally, our good app will have to be open and programmable so that it can be easily and legally adapted to work in different places.

      Now where is that app we should be looking at here?

      /Eric Britton
    • Dave Holladay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2012
        My basic app for successfully integrating transport modes uses a
        modulated sound source, combined with light and sound receptors and a
        superb high speed processor which requires no external power supply. It
        has often delivered solutions that the formal algorithms used on fixed
        and portable computers often fail to deliver as well.

        But in collating data I often catch up with other factors relating to
        our use of transport systems, and their impact on health & wellbeing, so
        I'll share a couple with you here.

        1) In discussing road safety with a bus driver, we noted that many of
        the past couple of generations growing up in our 'Western' culture need
        to be taught some very basic skills quite late in life, in order to use
        the full spectrum of transport choice. It is not uncommon for
        Universities to have to teach incoming students how to catch a bus, and
        I suspect (and have experience of) a substantial group who are left to
        their fate making their first train journey in their mid 20's.

        We noted that there was a perceived 'spike' in pedestrian and cycle
        casualties when new students arrived (September) and a Darwinian process
        applied to basic activities, such as crossing the street or making a
        journey by bike. Has anyone researched this?

        2) Those who drive our buses and trucks have a seriously sedentary
        working day, which would doubtless benefit from building in active
        travel to get to and from their workplace. Avoidable disease such as
        Type 2 Diabetes is reported to have a heightened occurrence for those
        who sit for long periods at the wheel. Has anyone studied this as an
        aspect of healthy travel which may be slipping through the net?

        To close this a last question. Has any road safety campaign (ideally
        for all road users) focussed on the key pieces of safety equipment that
        almost every road user has, and should be using to maximum capacity. I
        refer to eyes, ears, and brains. The limitation of eyes having only 120
        degrees is compensated for by the 360 degree coverage of ears, and the
        facility to integrate this through the brain. Far more effective than
        the last resort intervention of protective equipment (ie helmets) is the
        first line use of hazard elimination or avoidance and making the eyes
        the route to delivery of safer travel.

        Dave Holladay

        On 17/06/12 11:57, eric britton wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > Now back to that app. What I want it to tell me is, for example, if I walk or bike on my next trip, or hop into my car, what will be the personal health impacts of my choice. And if possible not simply in the frame of calories burned, but also against the backdrop of a more personalized health database/app.
        >
        > Ditto for the financial impacts (on my purse and that of the community as a whole), the effect on traffic, the environmental impacts, etc. And so on down the mobility choice chain.
        >
        > Our good app might at the end of each week/month present us with a summary of the various key implications of our aggregate mobility choices over that period.
        >
        > Finally, our good app will have to be open and programmable so that it can be easily and legally adapted to work in different places.
        >
        > Now where is that app we should be looking at here?

      • Richard Layman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2012
          wrt your college example this is anecdotal but... in Ann Arbor, Michigan (U of Michigan) at least when I went to school/lived around Central Campus [the school is relatively unique in North America in how the University and the city grew up together so that Central Campus is pretty much integrated into/surrounded by the city], the area around the campus is decidedly dominated by pedestrians.  So you just walk out across public thoroughfare streets like South University or East Liberty or State Street, without paying much attention to cars, knowing they will stop.  The posted speed limits there are probably 25mph, but I would expect that the actual speed is around 20mph.

          When I moved to Washington, DC, I "learned" that wasn't how things were done outside of a pedestrian-dominated area--that you couldn't just walk out in the street and expect motor vehicles to stop.

          And I remember right around when I moved to DC and reading about a pedestrian death of a U Chicago student, who was legally waiting on a median in the middle of the street, but a driver--maybe impaired, I don't remember--hit and killed her.  And I thought about my Ann Arbor to DC experience, and learned a lesson (completely relevant to the helmet discussion by the way), that it isn't about "you" walking (or biking) "legally" as much as it is about the behavior of the other mode users around you.  I also wondered about how it was around the U of Chicago in terms of pedestrian centricity, compared to Ann Arbor.

          Richard Layman