Re: WorldTransport Forum Re: [WorldCityBike] Request for collaboration on green mobility infrastructure development in selected Nigerian tertiary institution

  • Kevin McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2012
      Not sure how applicable this is, but a corporate sponsored bikes for Africa program

      On May 18, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Kevin McLaughlin <kevin@...> wrote:

      Don't forget twitter and Facebook if you want attention

      Look to something like Kickstarter or Kiva for investment

      Kevin McLaughlin

      On May 18, 2012, at 6:54 AM, Richard Layman <rlaymandc@...> wrote:

      Good idea.  I think these examples at colleges in the US are relatively low cost ways to provide students with bicycles.  It needs to be complemented with programming and other support facilities.

      The basic point is to make "administration" as simple as possible, and to reduce labor costs and the need to check bikes out and in, by just giving the student the full-time use (and responsibility for) a bike/lock/helmet for a low or no price.

      North Central College provides the bike for an entire semester, for a low price.  UCLA charges $45/semester.  The Ripon College program provides the bike for free--with some volunteer hours and an agreement to not bring a car to campus.  Ripon College treats the matter as transportation demand and land use management, because it's cheaper to provide students a bike than it is to build and support parking, either in lots or structures, and it's a waste of precious land resources besides.

      Remember though if you are going to encourage use of bicycles off campus, students need access to high quality bicycle parking.  They are probably going to need two locks (although maybe what I read about Nigeria and lawlessness isn't true).  And they are going to need training in how to secure their bicycles.  AND, ideally, you will work with the community to install bike parking at the locations off the campus that are the most likely destinations--simultaneous with the launch of the program.

      Richard Layman