RE: [sustran] Re: [KyotoWorldCities] Equitable Transportation

  • Todd Alexander Litman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2012
      It is true that transportation equity can be evaluated in various ways and
      that special interest groups often use equity concerns to advance their own
      agenda, but it tends to be an important concern in transport policy and
      planning decision-making, and there is a good body of literature on
      transport equity analysis. There are three major categories of transport
      equity:

      1. Horizontal Equity (also called fairness) is concerned with whether
      each individual or group is treated equally, assuming that their needs and
      abilities are comparable. It suggests that people with comparable incomes
      and needs should receive an equal share of public resources and benefits,
      and bear an equal burden of public costs. It implies that costs should be
      borne by users unless a subsidy is specifically justified (i.e., the “user
      pays principle”).

      2. Vertical Equity With Regard to Income considers the allocation of
      costs between different income classes, assuming that public policies should
      favor people who are economically disadvantaged. Policies that provide a
      proportionally greater benefit to lower-income groups are called
      progressive, while those that make lower-income people relatively worse off
      are called regressive.

      3. Vertical Equity With Regard to Mobility Need and Ability considers
      whether a transportation system provides adequate service to people who have
      special transportation needs (i.e., they are transportation disadvantaged).
      It justifies facility design features and special mobility services that
      provide access to people with disabilities. It suggests that public
      subsidies should be used to provide Basic Access to transportation
      disadvantaged people.

      Equity analysis is complicated by the fact that there are many types of
      impacts to consider and people can be grouped in various ways. A particular
      policy may seem equitable and justified when evaluated one way but not in
      another. It is therefore important that decision-makers understand these
      different perspectives and measurement units. I agree with Gabe that road
      pricing is often portrayed as regressive and therefore inequitable, although
      it is generally more equitable than other road funding options, particularly
      if there are good alternatives to driving. This is why most experts argue
      that a portion of road pricing revenues should be used to improve transport
      options.

      For more information see:

      Anvita Arora and Geetam Tiwari (2007), A Handbook for Socio-economic Impact
      Assessment (SEIA) of Future Urban Transport (FUT) Projects, Transportation
      Research and Injury Prevention Program (TRIPP), Indian Institute of
      Technology (http://tripp.iitd.ernet.in); at
      http://tripp.iitd.ernet.in/publications/paper/SEIA_handbook.pdf.

      Judith Bell and Larry Cohen (2009), The Transportation Prescription: Bold
      New Ideas for Healthy, Equitable Transportation Reform in America,
      PolicyLink and the Prevention Institute Convergence Partnership
      (www.convergencepartnership.org/transportationhealthandequity).

      David J. Forkenbrock and Glen E. Weisbrod (2001), Guidebook for Assessing
      the Social and Economic Effects of Transportation Projects, NCHRP Report
      456, Transportation Research Board, National Academy Press (www.trb.org).

      David Forkenbrock and Jason Sheeley (2004), Effective Methods for
      Environmental Justice Assessment, National Cooperative Highway Research
      Program (NCHRP) Report 532, Transportation Research Board (www.trb.org);
      available at http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/nchrp_rpt_532.pdf.

      Todd Litman (2002), “Evaluating Transportation Equity,” World Transport
      Policy & Practice (http://ecoplan.org/wtpp/wt_index.htm), Volume 8, No. 2,
      Summer, pp. 50-65; revised version at www.vtpi.org/equity.pdf.

      Todd Litman (2006), You CAN Get There From Here: Evaluating Transportation
      Diversity, Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org); at
      www.vtpi.org/choice.pdf; originally published as, “You Can Get There From
      Here: Evaluating Transportation Choice,” Transportation Research Record
      1756, TRB (www.trb.org), 2001, pp. 32-41

      Todd Litman and Marc Brenman (2011), A New Social Equity Agenda For
      Sustainable Transportation, Paper 12-3916, Transportation Research Board
      Annual Meeting (www.trb.org); at www.vtpi.org/equityagenda.pdf.

      Karen Lucas (2004), Running on Empty: Transport, Social Exclusion and
      Environmental Justice, Policy Press
      (www.bris.ac.uk/Publications/TPP/tpp.htm).

      Caroline Rodier, John E. Abraham, Brenda N. Dix and John D. Hunt (2010),
      Equity Analysis of Land Use and Transport Plans Using an Integrated Spatial
      Model, Report 09-08, Mineta Transportation Institute
      (www.transweb.sjsu.edu); at
      www.transweb.sjsu.edu/MTIportal/research/publications/documents/Equity%20Ana
      lysis%20of%20Land%20Use%20(with%20Covers).pdf.

      Thomas W. Sanchez, Richard Stolz and Jacinta S. Ma (2003), Moving to Equity:
      Addressing Inequitable Effects of Transportation Policies on Minorities, The
      Harvard University Civil Rights Project (www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu)
      and the Center for Community Change (www.communitychange.org).

      K.H. Schaeffer and Elliot Sclar (1980), Access for All, Columbia University
      Press (New York).

      Lisa Schweitzer and Brian Taylor (2008), “Just Pricing: The Distributional
      Effects Of Congestion Pricing And Sales Taxes,” Transportation, Vol. 35, No.
      6, pp. 797–812 (www.springerlink.com/content/l168327363227298); summarized
      in “Just Road Pricing,” Access 36 (www.uctc.net/access); Spring 2010, pp.
      2-7; at www.uctc.net/access/36/access36.pdf.

      SDC (2011), Fairness in a Car Dependent Society, Sustainable Development
      Commission (www.sd-commission.org.uk); at
      www.sd-commission.org.uk/pages/fairness-in-a-car-dependent-society.html.

      Jamie E.L. Spinney, Darren M. Scott, and K. Bruce Newbold (2009), “Transport
      Mobility Benefits And Quality Of Life: A Time-Use Perspective Of Elderly
      Canadians,” Transport Policy, Vol. 16, Is. 1, January, Pages 1-11.

      TRB (2011), Equity of Evolving Transportation Finance Mechanisms, Special
      Report 303, Transportation Research Board (www.trb.org); at
      http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr/sr303.pdf.

      Asha Weinstein Agrawal (2011), Getting Around When You’re Just Getting By:
      The Travel Behavior and Transportation Expenditures of Low-Income Adults,
      Mineta Transportation Institute (www.transweb.sjsu.edu); at
      www.transweb.sjsu.edu/MTIportal/research/publications/documents/2806_10-02.p
      df.

      Sincerely,
      Todd Litman
      Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
      litman@...
      facebook.com/todd.litman
      Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
      1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
      “Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2012

        The distinction between horizontal equity, vertical equity and vertical equity with regard to mobility need and ability is a helpful starting point to make us think more clearly about what we actually mean when we talk about equity. But, as someone who deals a lot with issues for people whose mobility is reduced by barriers in the transport environment, it gives me certain cause for concern.

        What exactly is 'special transportation need'? I would argue that it is only 'special' because the design of the transport environment hasn't accommodated that need in the first place. Wheelchair users would be better off without any seating on transport vehicles – and surely the provision of that seating is the fulfilment of a 'special transportation need'? Profoundly Deaf people don’t need public announcements – this is a ‘special transportation need’ of hearing people.  Again, a dignitary’s need for private transportation for security or speed purposes is surely a 'special transportation need'.

        What's special depends on who defines what's normal. And here we have some chickens and eggs. The more those who don't fit what's normal aren't seen using the normal, the less their 'special' needs get taken into account.  The notion of ‘special interest groups’ advancing their own agenda through the concept of equity begs a whole host of questions about whose agenda it is anyway.

        For a dignitary to rub shoulders with the rest of us on the 'normal' transportation system is a good start in eradicating the need for special and delivering equity. But the president's barriers are 'softer' – it's less an issue of infrastructure modifications than adjusting operations and attitudes.

        Easy and unfettered use of the transport system – where that includes all forms of mobility – is a pre-requisite for economic inclusion. If we continue to consider some people's transportation needs as 'special', we will perpetuate an economic underclass that has economic implications for the rest of the social system – a rod for our own backs socially and economically speaking.

        Alice Maynard

        Dr Alice Maynard. Future Inclusion

        www.futureinclusion.com