Re: [WorldTransport] About transport impacts over urban land

  • Graham Fletcher
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
      Javier,

      Are you aware of:

      This may be of some interest.

      Best wishes,

      Graham

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 9:33 AM
      Subject: [WorldTransport] About transport impacts over urban land

      Hello everybody, I am glad to meet you all. I would like to make a
      request for information about the impacts of transportation (with
      special focus on mass transit systems) over urban land in terms of
      value, density, pollution, etc. I am doing research about it and I
      will be thankful if somebody can provide me some tips about related
      literature. Thanks in advance for your kind help.

      Javier Pacheco
      ITC UPLA.2 Student
      Enschede, The Netherlands

      Consult at: http://wTransport.org

    • Todd Alexander Litman
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
        See the report "DOES PUBLIC TRANSIT RAISE SITE VALUES AROUND ITS STOPS
        ENOUGH TO PAY FOR ITSELF (WERE THE VALUE CAPTURED)?" by Jeffery J. Smith,
        posted at our website (www.vtpi.org/smith.htm), which summarizes
        considerable literature on the effects of public transit on property
        values. Also see the "Transit Evaluation" (www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm62.htm),
        "Economic Development" (www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm54.htm) and "Land Use
        Evaluation (www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm104.htm) chapters of our Online TDM
        Encyclopedia, which discuss some of the transport, land use and economic
        impacts of public transit.

        Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about this
        information, or if you find anything to add.

        Best wishes,
        -Todd Litman

        At 08:33 AM 6/12/2003 +0000, Javier Pacheco Raguz wrote:
        >Hello everybody, I am glad to meet you all. I would like to make a
        >request for information about the impacts of transportation (with
        >special focus on mass transit systems) over urban land in terms of
        >value, density, pollution, etc. I am doing research about it and I
        >will be thankful if somebody can provide me some tips about related
        >literature. Thanks in advance for your kind help.
        >
        >Javier Pacheco
        >ITC UPLA.2 Student
        >Enschede, The Netherlands
        >

        >The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice
        >Consult at: http://wTransport.org
        >To post message to group: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com

        Sincerely,
        Todd Litman, Director
        Victoria Transport Policy Institute
        "Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"
        1250 Rudlin Street
        Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, Canada
        Phone & Fax: 250-360-1560
        Email: litman@...
        Website: http://www.vtpi.org
      • Wetzel Dave
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
          Javier
          Right up my street.
          I'll forward some articles to you and any other person on the World
          Transport yahoo group who let's me know they're interested.
          Perhaps some of the friends who I have copied this to will also add relevant
          items for you.

          Dave

          Dave Wetzel
          Vice-Chair
          Transport for London
          42-50 Victoria Street. London.
          SW1H 0TL. UK

          020 7941 4200

        • john.holtzclaw@sierraclub.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
            Hi Javier,

            We have information on that in the U.S. on our website,
            http://www.SierraClub.org/sprawl
            Go to Transportation; then Articles and Research; then Smart Growth -- As
            Seen From the Air
            or How Compact Neighborhoods Affect Modal Choice

            John Holtzclaw
            415-977-5534
            John.Holtzclaw@...
            sprawl and transportation action -- http://www.SierraClub.org/sprawl
            This View of Density -- www.sflcv.org/density

            "Javier Pacheco Raguz" <jpraguz@...>

            06/12/2003 01:33 AM

            Hello everybody, I am glad to meet you all. I would like to make a
            request for information about the impacts of transportation (with
            special focus on mass transit systems) over urban land in terms of
            value, density, pollution, etc. I am doing research about it and I
            will be thankful if somebody can provide me some tips about related
            literature. Thanks in advance for your kind help.

            Javier Pacheco
            ITC UPLA.2 Student
            Enschede, The Netherland
          • Lee Schipper
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2003
              I think the issue is the other way around: How much does a given size
              home cost in a dense neighborhood, in a sprawling neighborhood, in an
              older development, in a newer development, as a function of the location
              of that neighborhood, its local population density, its jobs to housing
              ratio etc? Then, if good transit service is establish, how much do
              housing costs rise (if at all); conversely, how do housing costs vary as
              a function of distance from a good transit line.
              On a very practical basis, 150 sq meters in Georgetown, Washington DC
              costs about twice to three times what it costs i Cleveland Park (two
              long metro stops away) and four times what it costs in Tenley town. The
              latter two actually have metro stops, Georgetown is 300 to 2000 meters
              from the nearest Metro station (buses in DC are a slow burning
              disaster). Housing close in to the suburb of Bethesda, which has good
              Metro and bus service, costs more than housing farther from the main
              metro stop, but how much more.
              Could it simply be that consumers figured out that the farther out you
              go, the more land and home you get for a unit of investment, and, aided
              by US policies that encourage borrowing for home ownership, make a
              tradeoff of a little more in cheap fuel and insurance in exchange for a
              lot more land? Could it also be that car insurance is cheaper in the
              low-density suburbs than it is in the higher density city core (it is)?

              In the end I think we paid $50K extra to be two blocks from Cleveland
              Park Metro; lots of options 500-2000 meters farther away offerred more
              house for less money. Since I cycle to work those extra 2000 meters,
              which would have been a long uphill grind, would have been a real ordeal
              day after day. But the hill I do have to climb is worth it, since I
              could not afford to live in Georgetown (where I rented) and pay around
              $1mn for a large three bedroom home rather than $780K for a much larger
              5bdr home (yes, with the study etc all the home is filled up already). I
              could have lived i the farther burbs for half as much, had a larger lot,
              driven or taken public transport 45 minutes each way, paid to go to a
              gym rather than cycled.. You all get my drift.

              That may be the trade off. Why do the various reports on sprawl in the
              US focus only on transport costs and fuel, but consistently omit all the
              other characteristics AND COSTS of residential location? Life is more
              than one-dimensional, is it not?

              >>> john.holtzclaw@... 08/01/03 05:08PM >>>

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2003
                Metroland (1920-1930 London) Glasgow suburban network c 1870 Southern (&
                LBSC/LSWR pre 1923) electrification - again dominant development ca 1930.

                Indeed the effects might even be tracable back to Shillibeers omnibuses,
                expanding the commute catchment for London or fly-boats on the canals of the
                preceding century.

                Dave Holladay
                Glasgow
              • Michael Yeates
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 25, 2003
                  There is also more to this ... using some Australian info.

                  1. Often the price of a site per se reflects not only the current but also
                  any potential development rights so people may be buying both a current
                  utility as well as a future redevelopment option ... ie in the second case,
                  gaining a speculative windfall on the greater cost achieveable from the land
                  value only without any betterment tax ... incidentally in doing so, the
                  complete "cost" of the existing building changes from being an asset to a
                  liability or cost simply on that decision whether to redevelop or not.

                  2. The other issue is the view that good public transport and walking and
                  cycling is not necessarily linked to housing and population density ie that
                  good other-than-car alternatives can be provided at suburban densities ... I
                  would suggest that the reason that these facilities seem expensive is that
                  roads and the real full costs thereof are grossly underpriced eg one is the
                  cost impacts of children no longer able or allowed to walk or cycle to
                  school but how do we price the social and educational disbenefits? It does
                  however require a different type of suburban road network to that
                  traditionally designed buy Oz and US traffic and subdivision engineers. So
                  what also tends to happen here in some areas is an inverse relationship
                  where in some parts of Australia, poorer people pay less for houses at the
                  outer edges of the older areas but then pay much more per dollar income per
                  household member for car use and have a much poorer or almost useless public
                  transport service.

                  Cities and urbanising areas are very complex ... and very diverse ... almost
                  defying generalised rules... but the "trends" are pretty clear...!

                  Paul Mees' book "A Very Public Solution" is worth a read on this topic...

                  Michael Yeates
                  Brisbane Oz

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2003
                    What you have identified is not the difference in the cost of a home - but
                    the difference in the value of the land on which the home sits.

                    Of course you are right, transport is not the only factor to give land its
                    value - transport is just one of many influences.

                    However, what we do know is that the individual landowner does not create
                    land value. It is the community's demand for land in a specific location
                    that gives land its value. If Government's collected this location benefit
                    as a levy or a tax on site values, they could pay for their services and
                    reduce taxes on trade and incomes.

                    Let me know if any reader wants more information (appropriate web-sites
                    etc.)

                    Dave

                    Dave Wetzel
                    Vice-chair, TfL.
                    Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street.
                    London. SW1H 0TL. UK.
                    Tel 020 7941 4200

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2003
                      This is a very important topic to discuss here.

                      I think it is a general rule that "location" costs more housing-wise,
                      but the buyer gets benefits that, at least to him, appear to be equal to
                      or better than the higher margin.

                      "Location" refers to both being near that which is desirable, and NOT
                      being near to that which is undesirable. Those marketing the suburbs
                      have always emphasized the latter (crime, street traffic, noise, poor
                      schools, lower-income neighbours), while treating the longer distances
                      to desirable services as being very easy to overcome (owning/using one
                      or more cars).

                      Transit is one of the factors that are part of the positive side of
                      "location," however, one does not want to have to use it for more than a
                      narrow range of trips (e.g., commuting), while needing the full range of
                      services within walking distance (clustered and along a fully walkable
                      street).

                      All of suburbia in our city has transit, but only for those residents
                      limiting their use to commuting (and having regular 9-5 jobs located
                      along the peak-hour routes, wanting to avoid transfers) rely on it.
                      Only those living in these areas unwillingly (youth, live-in help,
                      dependent seniors) will use the off-peak transit service for other kinds
                      of trips.

                      Most New Urbanism development is of this latter category, since they
                      lack internal services and are located too far from where the true urban
                      "fabric" of main streets and mixed uses ends. For that reason, they
                      still have as much yard space given over to the owners' cars, but this
                      space is at the rear, along a laneway, with the house pushed forward to
                      the street.

                      What our industry needs to do is to educate housing consumers (and
                      government officials and developers) to the following:

                      1. Walking is everyone's favourite mode, and the destinations which can
                      be walked to is at the highest level of "location." There is growing
                      awareness that, although driving is seen as superior to transit, it is
                      significantly inferior to walking.

                      2. Housing price is related to transportation costs; the two must be
                      considered as a unit. "Location" reduces the amount of "fleet" the
                      household needs, and the distance each vehicle is driven. The
                      perception (and much of the reality) is that car-ownership is almost as
                      high in high-location areas as poor-location areas (see also next).

                      3. People facing low driving needs cannot, in today's market, buy a
                      "fraction" of a car; they can only buy older cars (I have found,
                      although I have seen no research, that the distance a vehicle is driven
                      is in reverse proportion to its age; with age, it becomes less reliable
                      and less "presentable"; also, with age, the driving costs shift from
                      fixed to variable, gaining some of the costing advantages of
                      carsharing). [One way to offer carsharing to those owning older cars is
                      to ask, "What is better, owning all of a partial car, or owning part of
                      a whole car?"]

                      4. Living in high-location areas requires a smaller house and yard,
                      since there are more nearby communal areas, e.g., parks, churches,
                      schools, coffee shops, bars (cf.: Oldenberg, R. _The Great Good
                      Place_). These provide not only out-of-house social spaces, but the
                      higher density makes sharing things easier. A walkable area can also
                      reduce expenses for health clubs and reduce the time adults spend
                      driving other household members. With carsharing, the "fleet" can be
                      reduced, further reducing the house's need to provide indoor and outdoor
                      amenities and space for vehicles.

                      Ironically, as consumers start getting this point, the first symptom
                      will be that the location-sensitive price differential for housing will
                      actually increase. The second one should be that those in low-location
                      neighbourhoods will organize to "invite in" -- through a neighbourhood
                      plan -- the services and employment they lack. They will need to "tame"
                      their streets to attract the growing number of entrepreneurs who are
                      interested in operating small-scale main-street businesses.

                      Chris Bradshaw
                      Vrtucar, Ottawa
                    • Wetzel Dave
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 16, 2003
                        Michael -
                        Sorry it's taken me so long to come back to you.

                        I agree with your observations.

                        To summarise: the sale price of a site is dependent on three factors:

                        1. The optimum use that the new owner can make of the site.
                        2. The permitted use allowed by the community/planning authority/restrictive
                        covenant etc.
                        3. Any hope value that the seller can add and the purchaser is willing to
                        pay.

                        Improved access (public transport or new roads) adds to 1 above.

                        Thus, landowners are creaming off the location value of their sites which
                        they do nothing to create.

                        If Governments were to tax land values to pay for transport then a virtuous
                        circle is created.
                        The tax would need to be an annual levy on the rental value of each site.
                        The value would be assessed on the optimum permitted use of the site
                        ignoring the value of buildings or improvements.
                        Thus, people receiving the financial benefit of a valuable location make a
                        contribution to the rest of the community.
                        Unlike other taxes, a land value tax is cheap to collect and difficult to
                        avoid.
                        Owners will make better use of their sites and society will avoid urban
                        sprawl.
                        The property cycle will be evened out.

                        Therefor in your second example, the land tax on the owners of land occupied
                        by the poorer people living out of town will be less.
                        However, if a new motorway or mass transit is built, reducing their
                        transport costs, then both the land value, and the land tax would increase.
                        If this location benefit value is not taxed, then landowners will collect
                        the benefit as they increase their rents to poor people after their
                        transport costs have been reduced.

                        Happy to supply more information if required.