This is what happens when "green (private) cars" are promoted in the North

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2011

      World Streets

      I appreciate your point Todd, but I think a bit differently about this.

      The path to sustainable transport and sustainable cities, passes by sustainable lives. Now what I like about this project is not that it is an EV and we all know of course by now that E-vehicles are more than a bit of hype when it comes to their claim as sustainable transport.

      But what I like about their project is the fact that a group of young Ugandan students are putting their heads together to create something that is different and that is a great laboratory for learning and team work.  It's not a sustainability project per se, but that they can learn as a next step.

      I see this as a step in a process and bravo to them (and to their wonderful University, Makerere, which thought all the turmoil's of these recent hard decades in Uganda has somehow endures when so much else fails and suffers).

      Thanks for drawing this to our attention Todd.

      On Behalf Of Todd Edelman
      Sent: Monday, 07 November, 2011 21:55
      To: 'Sustran List'
      Subject: [sustran] This is what happens when "green (private) cars" are promoted in the North

      Uganda’s First Electric Car Built by Makerere Students

      http://inhabitat.com/ugandas-first-electric-car-is-built-by-students/

      A group of 25 Ugandan students from Makerere University’s College of

      Engineering, Art and Design have built Uganda’s first electric car, the

      Kiira EV. Initially designed in 2009, the fabricated car was taken for a

      public test drive last week. Most of the parts of the two-seater,

      including the core body and combustion system, were designed and built

      locally...

      Click on link for full story....

      --

      Todd Edelman

      Green Idea Factory / SLOWFactory

         Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director

         World Streets / New Mobility Partnerships  / Sustainability Seminar Series

         8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France

         Tel. +331 7550 3788   |  editor@...   |  Skype: newmobility