World Carshare Organizations - Inventory update

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011

    We are updating the several sites and sources that together constitute the World Carshare Consortium. It's about time. If you go to our original program site at www.worldcarshare.com, which first saw the light of day back in August 1999 ,you will see quite a cornucopia of information and sources, some of which still current and useful, and some of which a bit tired and needing either a major overhaul or trip to the trash basket.

    One specific collaborative project that we might launch in the closing days of 2011 that comes to mind is an updating of our World Carshare Operator Inventory, which the last time was brought up to date at the end of 2008. The concept of handling it as an open group project worked pretty well the last time, so we thought we might try it again.  If you recall from the time, we eventually ended up with a master listing identifying no less than five hundred going carshare operations.

    Our previous master table was organized primarily by city, country, operator group, and technology. Here attached you have an example for Australian (clearly well out of date, but let's start with what we have). So here is how it works if you wish to get involved.

    1.       Get in touch and let us know briefly which of these four categories you wish to help us to cover.

    2.       We then send you the 2008 inventory for your category as an Excel table, which we would ask you to kindly update and compete.

    3.       We will also open up the entire working table to you as a Google document reserved for collaborators at this point.

    4.       When the entire exercise is completed, we will then open it up to the students, non-profit groups, researchers, cities, public agencies, media, technology sources and others around the world who can benefit from this kind of comprehensive updated information. That after all is our mission – to support and expand carsharing knowledge and practice worldwide. Carsharing – a great way to get around.

    It will never be compete of course but it might be useful.

    Please get back to us if you wish to land a hand.

    With all good wishes/ Eric Britton

    PS., And should you wish to lend a hand with the costs of this exercise, well that would be great. The last time around we received a dozen or so contributions varying from $50 to $500, and that helped a lot. And it was also very encouraging. Otherwise we have to cover all these costs on our own and that somehow does not seem quite right.

    Other World Carshare Consortium reference points that may be of use to you:

    ·         Original website – www.worldcarshare.com

    ·         WCC on Facebook-  http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldcarshare/

    ·         World Streets on Carsharing - http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/category/carshare/

    CSO name

    URL

    Group *

    City/Service area

    Country

    Size

    Technology

    Year

    Email

    Note: Size: XS= >10 cars. S=10-50.   M=50-200.  L=200-1000.  XL= >1000 cars

    Brisbane Go-Get Australia

    http://www.goget.com.au/

    GoGet

    Brisbane