an example of a worst practice

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3.4 MB
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Cherry, Chris R (Christopher Cherry) [mailto:cherry@...]
    Sent: Sunday, 24 July, 2011 11:03
    To: eric britton; Walter Hook

    Eric and Walter,

    Here's an example of a worst practice, an analogue to the rickshaw ban you
    mentioned. This one is coming from Guangzhou, ITDP's sustainable city award
    winner this year. This was in the China Daily a couple of days ago.
    China is notorious for arbitrary "crackdowns" that have significant
    implications for (often poor) users of these vehicles. These crackdowns are
    infrequent, occur without warning, and are negatively reinforced by
    non-enforcement 360 days a year. This leads poor individuals to invest huge
    portions of their income to purchase these vehicles, for transportation or
    goods delivery, only to have them confiscated and crushed without warning
    (actually this happened to me once in Kunming.

    Fortunately I'm not poor, but I felt terrible watching rural migrants lose
    about everything they have in one swoop). Unfortunately, these individuals
    cannot afford to live near BRT or their trips are not adequately served by
    that mode. It would be interesting to compare this policy to a policy of
    impounding and crushing cars (with richer drivers) that drive or park on
    sidewalks. I think that the impact, considering purchasing power, might be
    about the same. I'm particularly interested in the paper's explicit mention
    of "tricycles used by the disabled" and "electric bicycles", two of the most
    socially and environmentally sustainable modes on earth.

    Chris Cherry
    Assistant Professor
    Civil and Environmental Engineering
    University of Tennessee-Knoxville