TfL Press release - Congestion Charge Scheme (CCS) - summary of week five

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2003
      Latest update on London's congestion charge scheme.
      CCS is working well so far but still early days. We will continue to
      publish a weekly update but this is the last update I will forward
      generally.
      If you want to keep up to date pls contact our TfL website.
      We will be conducting a 6-month study looking more closely at the effects of
      CCS.

      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair, Transport for London
      Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street.
      London. UK. SW1H 0TL

      Tel:020 7941 4200
      Fax: 020 7941 4748

      > <<...OLE_Obj...>>
      >

      > <<...OLE_Obj...>>
      > <<...OLE_Obj...>>
      >

      > No. 671
      >
      > CONGESTION CHARGE - SUMMARY OF WEEK FIVE
      >
      > Traffic
      >
      > * Traffic levels inside the zone again remained light throughout the
      > week. Observations are suggesting that the lower traffic levels are
      > beginning to stabilise with around 20% less traffic entering the zone
      > across the charging day.
      > * Traffic flowed well, including on the Inner Ring Road, the boundary
      > road of the zone.
      > * Preliminary data suggests there is little diverted traffic on roads
      > beyond the Inner Ring Road.
      >
      > Buses
      >
      > * Bus services ran well all week. Latest data on buses and congestion
      > charging was given in TfL Press Notice 666 (18 March 2003) [Attached below
      > - Dave Wetzel]
      >
      > Operations
      >
      > * Payments of the charge for Friday 14 March were around 100,000
      > * Approaching half a million payments are expected to have been made
      > this week by midnight on Friday 21 March
      > * Payments of the charge for each day throughout the week were:
      > * 94,000 (Monday)
      > * 98,000 (Tuesday)
      > * 99,000 (Wednesday)
      > * 100,000 (Thursday)
      > * Payments for today (Friday) are still being made
      > *
      > * For the first four weeks of the scheme, the percentage split between
      > all sales channels was:
      > * Retail 36%
      > * Call centre 28%
      > * Web 16%
      > * SMS 15%
      > * Interactive Voice Recognition (IVR) 4%
      > * Post 1%
      >
      > * The congestion charging web site has been receiving around 70,000
      > hits per day on average
      >
      > * Discount registrations now total:
      > * Blue Badge 100,582
      > * Residents 22,185
      > * Other 7,186
      > *
      > * In total, less than 15,000 Penalty Charge Notices are expected to be
      > issued for the week
      > * Payment channels (text messaging, retail, web and call centre)
      > generally worked well throughout the week.
      >

      > ENDS
      >
      > For more information, please contact TfL Press Office on 020 7941 4141
      - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      <<...OLE_Obj...>>

      <<...OLE_Obj...>>
      <<...OLE_Obj...>>

      No. 666

      Congestion charging delivers better buses

      Early research shows that speedier and more reliable buses are being enjoyed
      by a record five million passengers a day since congestion charging started.

      The new data compiled by London Buses shows that since congestion charging
      started on February 17th:

      * In the first week of the charge, 9.5 per cent more passengers
      travelled than in the same week last year. In the second week the
      year-on-year increase was more than 10 per cent. Together with other
      improvements introduced in the last year, this has encouraged five million
      passengers to use buses each weekday;
      * Bus speeds in the morning peak in the charging zone have increased
      by 15 per cent (from 10.4 to 12 kilometres per hour);
      * Delays to buses caused by traffic congestion halved in the first two
      weeks
      * Excess waiting time (the additional time waited by passengers over
      and above the route schedule) reduced by 23 per cent in the first two weeks
      of the scheme in the charging zone; and
      * Early research shows that there are 6000 more bus passengers
      travelling to central London in the morning peak hour, compared to counts
      taken in autumn 2002, an increase of 14 per cent. The number of buses to
      the zone increased by 19 per cent over the same period.

      Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said:

      "Improved journey speeds and 6000 more people choosing the
      bus to get to central London in the rush hour is extremely encouraging.

      "TfL with the bus operators have delivered impressive
      improvements to the entire network over the last 12 months - more buses,
      better reliability and security and improved passenger information. Funds
      raised from the charge will help us continue to make buses even better."

      Seventy-five services to the zone in the morning peak hour benefited from
      the biggest single package of improvements for decades. Highlights of
      boosted services include:

      * 18-metre bendy buses on route 436 Lewisham to Paddington; 507
      (Waterloo - Lambeth Bridge - Victoria); 521 (Waterloo - Cannon Street -
      London Bridge) and 453 (Deptford Broadway - Marylebone).
      * New services between Covent Garden and Tower Bridge; Camberwell and
      Shepherd's Bush; Fulham and Maida Vale; Elephant and Castle and South
      Kensington; Hackney Wick and Mansion House and Northumberland Park and
      Euston;
      * Double decks replaced single decks on ten routes and more than 300
      extra buses to boost at least fifty services.

      Notes for Editors

      1. The data for bus speeds includes time spent at bus stops and traffic
      lights.
      2. Services not operated due to traffic congestion fell from 2.7 per
      cent of the network in the four weeks before the charge to 1.2 per cent
      during the first two weeks of the charge.

      3. Monitoring of services by London Buses uses a combination of data
      collection methods including roadside surveys and information from ticket
      machines and the Automatic Vehicle Location system.

      4. London Buses manages bus services in London for the Mayor's
      Transport for London. It plans routes, specifies service levels and
      monitors service quality. It is also responsible for bus stations, bus
      stops, security initiatives and passenger information. The bus services are
      operated by private operators, which work under contract to London Buses.

      5. The London bus network is one of the largest and most comprehensive
      urban systems in the world. Each weekday 6,500 London buses carry 5.1
      million passengers on more than 700 different routes.

      For more information about London Bus Services check out
      www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/buses

      For more information please telephone 020 7918 3864 or 020 7027 8063. For
      out-of-hours enquiries telephone 020 7941 4141.

      The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
      confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
      entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
      excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
      of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
      you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
      received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
      forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

      If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
      postmaster@....

      for the presence of computer viruses.