Re: [NewMobilityCafe] a very short list of very bad practices

  • Morten Lange
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2011

      Hi,

      Interesting.

      **** "Mexico: The decision, come hell or high water, of the mayor of Mexico City to create a public bicycle system for his city, or rather to impose a public bicycle system on his city, ready or not. "

      I am not familiar with the special circumstances in Mexico, and I'd say this point needs an explanation, at least not shorter than the other items on the list .  + Demote to a lower placement ?)   Do you have specifics on low usage, poor followup etc ?  I know of a very positive consequence of the bicycle sharing initiative : The authorities reversed their decision to make helmets obligatory for bicycle users.

        Perhaps better to focus on  e.g.

      1. car-centric developments as there are more than enough of them ?

      2. The decisions to force helmets and hi-visibility vests on cyclists  (even though they might be national laws / bylaws )  without taking the time to evaluate the negative very effects in NZ, AU and elsewhere.

      --
      Regards / Kvedja
      Morten Lange, Reykjavík

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2011

        Those who fail to learn history (no matter how painful) are doomed to repeat it *

        Thank you.  The response to this request , through these lists and in private, to this quick weekend call for examples has been instructive, gratifying and has lead me to the following proposal for a small collaborative project, possibly  for selective publication of a certain number of examples on World Streets as well as via these lists.

        1.       First, we have to agree – at least some of us – that though inventories of and information on "good" and "best" practices can be very important and useful, there also is excellent reason for better and broader understanding not just so-so or debatably bad, but truly egregiously, exemplary  bad practices in our troubled sector.

        2.       Moreover, it is my long experience that if we look hard enough at specific  selected cases we will not only have lively stories that deserve to be better known (and not covered up or purposefully forgotten as so often is the case), but moreover that in very many of these cases there are lessons for policy makers and others involved that have universal implications.  That to my mind is the real reason that bad practices deserve to be better known and more widely discussed

        3.       It is important that each of these incidents be understood and presented in a balanced manner – there is no benefit if it is taken as a combination witch hunt and turkey shoot.  Any such treatments should be authoritative (though it also is to be understood that many will be vigorously argued and contested – that indeed  is part of the process.)

        4.       With this in view, I would now like to invite any and all here to consider sending on a first summary note of what they personally know about in their own city or country of one such exemplary bad practice/project. (My own linitial listing below  is, as a number of you have pointed out, presented in too cursory a manner and as such wide open to debate and misinterpretation. )

        5.       Then, we could discuss how this example might be expanded into a short W/S article, say 300 words or so (but your call really). With references for those who will wish to dig deeper.

        6.       The idea is not to tie up a lot of your time. The project should be one you now well and on which you have information at hand. Ideally there will be some coverage from local news sources, etc.

        In this way, our work will be available to all.

        I look forward to your ideas on this.

        Eric Britton

        PS. As you surely know the opening quote here is not quite right. Santayana's actual words in his book Reason in Common Sense were: "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it". But the frequent misquote (without my parenthetic words) is surely close enough. Pace.