Re: [WorldTransport] density and parking -- pictured and paced

  • Michael Yeates
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
      Sorry if cross-posted or slightly off-topic ...

      As density is usually correlated to/with "better" (ie safer and more
      convenient) transport access, but sprawl usually associated with high levels
      of car access and usually poor for other modes, the question of the effect
      on property values of transit options is somewhat illustrative of the
      reverse effect ...ie a range from negative <> positive impacts on property
      values ... which can encourage higher density developments in less than
      'ideal' locations but also convert 'ideal' locations to less than ideal ...

      From The Urban Transportation Monitor, see ...
      ftp://business.fullerton.edu/iees/octa

      Strangely, the impacts and benefits for high quality walking and cycling
      access but low quality for other modes seems to be rarely if ever reviewed
      ... yet for much of the "ideal" ie 'sustainable, healthy and safe' urban
      development, this is close to ideal if public transport (transit) is
      available at the margins of walking/cycling distances.

      Michael Yeates
      Australia