Re: [WorldTransport] density and parking -- pictured and paced

  • carshare1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2003
      Dear Mr. Holtzclaw,

      Thank you SO MUCH for putting the density pictures together - it's something
      I've long felt would help clarify what we're talking about. I do wish that
      future versions could include several examples between 3 and 50 households
      per acre, the next choice over. In most of the country, including here, the
      people living in those areas are where the fear and heartburn about density
      are coming from! My perception is that people living in the 50 units and up
      already "get it". Thanks.

      Dave Brook
      Portland, Oregon

      PS: I had to chuckle that the picture of 3 units/acre came from Portland!
    • Michael Yeates
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
        Sorry if cross-posted or slightly off-topic ...

        As density is usually correlated to/with "better" (ie safer and more
        convenient) transport access, but sprawl usually associated with high levels
        of car access and usually poor for other modes, the question of the effect
        on property values of transit options is somewhat illustrative of the
        reverse effect ...ie a range from negative <> positive impacts on property
        values ... which can encourage higher density developments in less than
        'ideal' locations but also convert 'ideal' locations to less than ideal ...

        From The Urban Transportation Monitor, see ...
        ftp://business.fullerton.edu/iees/octa

        Strangely, the impacts and benefits for high quality walking and cycling
        access but low quality for other modes seems to be rarely if ever reviewed
        ... yet for much of the "ideal" ie 'sustainable, healthy and safe' urban
        development, this is close to ideal if public transport (transit) is
        available at the margins of walking/cycling distances.

        Michael Yeates
        Australia