Peak Oil Policies, Cycling adaptation and behavior change - An invitation to discuss

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2011

      The following just in from Bruce Robinson in Australia.

      From: Bruce Robinson [mailto:Bruce.Robinson@...] Sent: Sunday, 24 April, 2011 06:16

      Dear Eric

      Michael Yeates in Brisbane has suggested I contact you.  I am going to Brussels, leaving today, to a Peak Oil Conference in Brussels, www.aspo9.be/home this week and I will have a few days free afterwards, between Brussels and Amsterdam (Schipol airport) where I am due to fly out on 8th May.  My written paper, "Peak Oil Policy Options for Australia" and a quasi-current draft of my presentation are at the top of the ASPO-Australia website. www.ASPO-Australia.org.au  My talk is on Friday 29th

      I am focussing on the behaviour-change and social science options, not on techno-fixes like electric vehicles, nor on slow-moving variables like city form.   These are important, but the behaviour-change options are rarely discussed.

      I will have my folding bicycle with me, so I will be relatively mobile, with train/bike travel, and I am interested in why bicycle advocates generally do not take much notice about "Peak Oil" as a lever for bicycle advocacy, at least in Australia.

      I am not sure if there is anyone you might know who may be interested to discuss the high probability of global oil shortages, and the adaptation options available to western societies.

      Regards,

      Bruce Robinson
      Convenor, ASPO-Australia

      Australian Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas.
      www.ASPO-Australia.org.au
      Bruce.Robinson@...

      2 Barsden St,
      Cottesloe  WA  6011
      Western Australia
      61-8-9384-7409     mobile 0427 398 708

      Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:12:51 +1000
      To: Bruce.Robinson@...
      From: Michael Yeates <michael@...>

      Hi Bruce ...

      Congrats and half your luck ... and being a Meyer Hillman suporter, I suggest you ignore the oil used and carbon exposed ... >:-}

      I AM sorry but this time I won't be in Amsterdam ... ;-)

      I am about to head away from home (and emails etc) but if you are quick and let me know, I do have a web-discussion site on which I could post this as follows ... with your contact details ... if you agree? Edit if not. We'll be gone in about 30 minutes.

      Bruce Robinson (one of my long time advocacy mates) is going to Brussels to give an invited paper on Peak Oil Policy Options for Australia next week at the International Peak Oil conference

      ( the paper is at  http://www.aspo-australia.org.au/References/Bruce/Peak-Oil-Policy-Options-for-Australia-Robinson-F3f.doc )

      He would like to contact bicycle advocate groups, to say hello and to find out some local bicycle info, and perhaps to mention Peak Oil to them if they are interested.

      If anyone has any interesting contacts, could you please contact Bruce as per details below.

      I understand he currently has few spare days in Amsterdam, but nothing planned at all.

      Bruce Robinson

      Convenor, ASPO-Australia

      Australian Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas.

      www.ASPO-Australia.org.au

      Bruce.Robinson@...

      At 02:19 AM 19/04/2011, you wrote:

      Dear BFA-Oz folk,

      I am going to Brussels to give an invited paper on Peak Oil Policy Options for Australia next week at the International Peak Oil conference
      ( the paper is at  http://www.aspo-australia.org.au/References/Bruce/Peak-Oil-Policy-Options-for-Australia-Robinson-F3f.doc )

      I would like to contact bicycle advocate groups, to say hello and to find out some local bicycle info, and perhaps to mention Peak Oil to them if they are interested.
      If anyone has any interesting contacts, I would like to know.

      I currently have a few spare days in Amsterdam, but nothing planned at all.

      Cheers,

      Bruce