World Streets: Weekly digest for 18 April 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2011
      WordPress.com

      Honk! Cars, People and the Planet. It's a Wonderful World (Have a stupid weekend)

      Have you ever given any thought to trying to imagine just how dumb some people think we are? My guess is that the good people of Hyundai have laid out serious money for this little film, without giving much thought to IQ's.  So we can only assume that they have done this for our weekend viewing pleasure. What can we say?  Well, thank you.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Editorial: Best City Cycling Map known to us

      Eric Britton, editor | 15 April 2011 at 09:27 | Categories: Cycling, cyclists, Europe, mapping | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-1yr

      To calm the passions of our spirited (but still unfinished) hate cycles/hate cars debate, here is a follow-up to our no less heady discussions on cities and cycling maps. You will see the background on all that and the interim results just below - but for now, let me introduce the map that I use each day here in Paris when I need some help for trip planning.   I am sure there must be better ones out there that we shall be hearing about, but this is not a bad way to get this discussion moving here. Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Ten reasons why I really hate cars (and drivers) in cities

      Well the calm of this sunny April day did not least long.  Hours after publication of what we thought was going to be perfectly harmless op-ed criticizing bicycles and bike readers in cities, comments, scathing and otherwise,  came cascading into the editorial offices of World Streets and our open Facebook Group page at http://www.facebook.com/worldstreets.  And within hours the following slipped in over the transom from cyclist Ezra Goldman over at “On our own two wheels”.  Let's hear what he has to say.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Ten reasons why I really hate bicycles (and cyclists) in cities.

      The following in this morning from an unidentified but  apparently pretty  disgruntled motorist who asked that we make his grievances widely known in the pages of World Streets.  So in the spirit of equal time and with no more ado, World Streets turns over the stage to him. Let's listen to what he has to say:

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Budget of 2011 in India: What could they be thinking?

      While one face of the government sulks and spoils, the other dares to act. The budget making exercise this year in India is an evidence of this. There is progressive grassroots decision to discourage polluting diesel cars and encourage public transport and bicycles in India’s capital city of Delhi, which is in sharp contrast to the reactionary non-visionary action at the national level. Anumita Roychowdhury reports from Delhi. Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The economic case for on-street bike parking

      Eric Britton, editor | 12 April 2011 at 06:36 | Categories: Cycling, reprinted, cyclists, Grist | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-1xA

      BikenomicsIf your city is to go the bike route, and we can think of no good reason why it should not, you have to figure out the parking angle. Which, once you get into it, proves to be not nearly as easy as you might at first have thought.  Here is a thoughtful piece on the on-street parking piece of the city bike puzzle which appears in Grist this morning under the byline of the ever-inventive Elly Blue.  We propose you check it out with that second cup of coffee. Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      World Streets Weekly: Edition of 11 April 2011

      Eric Britton, editor | 11 April 2011 at 09:07 | Categories: Weekly edition | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-1wJ

      * * Click here for Weekly Edition of 11 April 2011  * *

      - – - > To receive Weekly Editions freely in 2011: click here

      This week's titles: Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post