RE: [WorldTransport] density and parking -- pictured and paced

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16 1:44 AM
      Dear John
      Many thanks for sending details of this website.

      One area I have not noticed discussed on your site is the effect that higher
      densities have on land values.
      Obviously, landowners would receive a huge unearned benefit from higher
      densities.
      Consideration of Land Value Taxation (where all sites are valued for their
      optimum permitted use and a tax rate is applied on all sites) would recycle
      some of this unearned income and would encourage better use of town and city
      sites that are currently kept empty.
      Because of this effect LVT would discourage urban sprawl at the same time as
      providing much needed revenue for public services and allowing the reduction
      of taxes on labour and capital which act as a drag anchor on the economy.

      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair, Transport for London
      Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street.
      London. UK. SW1H 0TL

      Tel:020 7941 4200
      Fax: 020 7941 4748

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16 3:56 PM
        Dear Mr. Holtzclaw,

        Thank you SO MUCH for putting the density pictures together - it's something
        I've long felt would help clarify what we're talking about. I do wish that
        future versions could include several examples between 3 and 50 households
        per acre, the next choice over. In most of the country, including here, the
        people living in those areas are where the fear and heartburn about density
        are coming from! My perception is that people living in the 50 units and up
        already "get it". Thanks.

        Dave Brook
        Portland, Oregon

        PS: I had to chuckle that the picture of 3 units/acre came from Portland!
      • Michael Yeates
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17 7:11 PM
          Sorry if cross-posted or slightly off-topic ...

          As density is usually correlated to/with "better" (ie safer and more
          convenient) transport access, but sprawl usually associated with high levels
          of car access and usually poor for other modes, the question of the effect
          on property values of transit options is somewhat illustrative of the
          reverse effect ...ie a range from negative <> positive impacts on property
          values ... which can encourage higher density developments in less than
          'ideal' locations but also convert 'ideal' locations to less than ideal ...

          From The Urban Transportation Monitor, see ...
          ftp://business.fullerton.edu/iees/octa

          Strangely, the impacts and benefits for high quality walking and cycling
          access but low quality for other modes seems to be rarely if ever reviewed
          ... yet for much of the "ideal" ie 'sustainable, healthy and safe' urban
          development, this is close to ideal if public transport (transit) is
          available at the margins of walking/cycling distances.

          Michael Yeates
          Australia