Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area (with friends like this who needs enemies?)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 11:48 PM

      Subject: Slim pickings

      Dear Friends,

      We need Europe so badly, it has so much to offer -- and it is so terribly disappointing when the well intentioned and certainly very well paid employees that make up the EC brain trust treat the cause of sustainability in such a shoddy manner.

      This is a seriously deficient, hasty, naive, kneejerk and oh so uninformed document and program. It will be immediately destroyed by its most vocal and powerful opponents (for all the wrong reasons mind you) simply because it is so dumb. And the good cause of sustainable transport, sustainable cities and sustainable lives will once again by poorly served by well-intentioned dunces.

      I am sharing this measured if a bit personal view with every known member of our sixty-strong international network, and I would be very grateful  if each of you might take one minute and give me/us your 0 to 10 rating of the usefulness of their approach. 10 meaning excellent, important and a great step to sustainable cities, sustainable transport and sustainable lives.

      I myself give it a large negative number, but I am sure that will not influence your views.

      I look forward with greatest interest to your reactions, and I do hope the will be public for the group as a whole to savor and reflect on.

      I'm ready.

      Kind regards

      Eric Britton

      PS. If your busy schedule does not permit you to spend the hours required to read and reflect on the several ponderous documents that Cornie has drawn to our attention, I would suggest that a gander at http://ec.europa.eu/transport/strategies/doc/2011_white_paper/white_paper_2011_ia_executive_summary_en.pdf and an article in today's  Telegraph  -- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8411336/EU-to-ban-cars-from-cities-by-2050.html -- will give you a pretty good idea of the level of competence this displays. Pitiful.

      PPS. I am not pleased (as you may have noticed). I intend to publish a piece on sustainability and stupidity in World Streets tomorrow. I welcome you to check it out with your Friday morning tea. at www.WorldStreets.org

      World

      Streets

         Eric Britton

         Managing Director

         Tel +331 7550 3788

         eric.britton@...

         Skype: newmobility

      - - - > Would you like to support World Streets?  If so please click here.