density and parking -- pictured and paced

  • john.holtzclaw@sierraclub.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2003
      Apologies for cross-posting.

      When you hear that a neighborhood has a density of 20 units per acre, or
      90, or 500, do you have a clear picture in your mind of what it looks like?
      Is it accurate?

      When deciding whether to require surface parking in a development, do you
      have a notion what that will do to the density or even auto ownership and
      driving?

      Why do enviros oppose sprawl? Does it really consume that much more land
      than compact development, and pollute that much more? Or require more
      driving? And more gas and dependence on foreign oil?

      How can you transform a boring neighborhood into an active, thriving,
      convenient one? Steve Price has some great visuals for guidance. For which
      we've calculated some of their environmental impacts.

      We invite you to test all these questions at This View of Density --
      www.sflcv.org/density.

      We would love to see this website duplicated and improved upon by our
      allies in other cities, like CNT in Chicago, using local photos, or in
      Atlanta or LA or NYC. We'll help you.

      Feel free to forward this message.

      John Holtzclaw
      415-977-5534
      John.Holtzclaw@...
      sprawl and transportation action -- http://www.SierraClub.org/sprawl

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2003
          Dear John
          Many thanks for sending details of this website.

          One area I have not noticed discussed on your site is the effect that higher
          densities have on land values.
          Obviously, landowners would receive a huge unearned benefit from higher
          densities.
          Consideration of Land Value Taxation (where all sites are valued for their
          optimum permitted use and a tax rate is applied on all sites) would recycle
          some of this unearned income and would encourage better use of town and city
          sites that are currently kept empty.
          Because of this effect LVT would discourage urban sprawl at the same time as
          providing much needed revenue for public services and allowing the reduction
          of taxes on labour and capital which act as a drag anchor on the economy.

          Dave

          Dave Wetzel
          Vice-Chair, Transport for London
          Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street.
          London. UK. SW1H 0TL

          Tel:020 7941 4200
          Fax: 020 7941 4748

[...]

          Consult at: http://wTransport.org

          The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
          confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
          entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
          excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
          of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
          you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
          received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
          forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

          If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
          postmaster@....

          for the presence of computer viruses.

        • carshare1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2003
            Dear Mr. Holtzclaw,

            Thank you SO MUCH for putting the density pictures together - it's something
            I've long felt would help clarify what we're talking about. I do wish that
            future versions could include several examples between 3 and 50 households
            per acre, the next choice over. In most of the country, including here, the
            people living in those areas are where the fear and heartburn about density
            are coming from! My perception is that people living in the 50 units and up
            already "get it". Thanks.

            Dave Brook
            Portland, Oregon

            PS: I had to chuckle that the picture of 3 units/acre came from Portland!
          • Michael Yeates
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2003
              Sorry if cross-posted or slightly off-topic ...

              As density is usually correlated to/with "better" (ie safer and more
              convenient) transport access, but sprawl usually associated with high levels
              of car access and usually poor for other modes, the question of the effect
              on property values of transit options is somewhat illustrative of the
              reverse effect ...ie a range from negative <> positive impacts on property
              values ... which can encourage higher density developments in less than
              'ideal' locations but also convert 'ideal' locations to less than ideal ...

              From The Urban Transportation Monitor, see ...
              ftp://business.fullerton.edu/iees/octa

              Strangely, the impacts and benefits for high quality walking and cycling
              access but low quality for other modes seems to be rarely if ever reviewed
              ... yet for much of the "ideal" ie 'sustainable, healthy and safe' urban
              development, this is close to ideal if public transport (transit) is
              available at the margins of walking/cycling distances.

              Michael Yeates
              Australia