The Seven Simple Truths of Sustainable Mobility (Come argue with me)"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2011
      Thanks Paul. I like your comments and your challenges very much. It is in
      this way that we will be able to bring this far closer to the bone. A couple
      of remarks in turn:

      1. Is VM/KT the key? I really do feel it is, because as we reduce these
      totals both locally and systemically, we in fact accomplish the rest -- but
      only if the sticks are accompanied in a powerful and timely way by the
      necessary and many carrots.

      2. Enrique Rebolledo suggested yesterday that we also give attention to
      offering modes and services that will reduce TMT (Trip Minutes Travelled).
      I could not agree more, but I do not want to create too many levels of
      complexity here (after all the title is something about a small number of
      "simple truths" which when taken together can get us moving on a better path
      for policy and practice in our challenging sector. And I really do believe
      that if we dig far enough into our new transportation and policy philosophy
      we will be cutting down TMT as well.

      3. As to your point about the 'everything is known' mantra', once again I
      agree with your caution but stick to my guns here. That is not to say that
      we do not have plenty to learn, but good new mobility projects -- and your
      work on Express Carpooling is right in the middle of this philosophy/policy
      -- what is interesting about them is that in almost all cases you can look
      around for best available experiences, query them closely, adapt for local
      conditions, and off you go. Now in all cases these are services,
      arrangements with an almost immediate feedback on performance, meaning that
      you learn and adjust as you go along. (After all this is 2011 and we are on
      the leading cusp of a century of logistics). That is harder to do when you
      are working on a third massive ring road construction or a new metro project
      that will come on line in only 15 or more years. Under the New Mobility
      Agenda and this new wave of projects and services it is built on, we can
      handle both learning and bad news, because when there is bad (or good) news
      we have the huge advantage of getting it early. And time to adjust. But this
      all presumes of course not only that we are responsible and brave, but also
      able to learn.

      Thanks so much Paul and believe me I await with real interest the next
      generation of Express Carpooling projects (bearing in mind that a generation
      now is 18 months, eh?)

      Eric