Re: [WorldCityBike] The Seven Simple Truths of Sustainable Mobility (Come argue with me)

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2011
      It's difficult "to argue" with you, because you laid out the argument so clearly, succinctly, and cogently.

      Oftentimes, when people raise the concepts of sustainable transportation, they talk about the advantage of "increasing choices" through investments in walking, biking, and transit infrastructure (and sometimes but not enough, programming).

      Choice is a big hook, and was the big hook used by the Labour Government in the UK on so many issues.  But expanding options doesn't mean that better choices are made, nor does it mean that scarce resources are necessarily used more efficiently and cost effectively.

      I counter that the issue isn't "choice," because given the choice most people will still drive, but that the issue is "optimality" of "throughput" and the cost-effective utilization of (scarce) transportation infrastructure.

      It's a take off of the point that Jane Jacobs made once when asked about this question.  When someone asked her about congestion and there not being enough capacity, she said something like "you asking the wrong question.  The question isn't 'why aren't there enough roads?' but why are there so many cars?"

      So yep, I consider "sticks" necessary as well as more focused ways of addressing mobility choice through "design" -- both in linking land use and transportation planning policies and in focused transportation demand management planning and implementation systems.

      There is a really good piece in Fast Company magazine that just came out about "Active Design":

      In the U.S., Arlington County, VA (Master Transportation Plan) and Seattle (Urban Mobility Plan) have particularly good transportation plans that focus on optimal mobility and people throughput, instead of a more traditional mobility focus on enabling faster motor vehicle travel through the use of the traditional LOS methodology to justify road expansion projects.

      While Victoria State in Australia is the world leader in focused transportation demand management protocols, Arlington County, VA does a pretty good job in this area, although not exactly how it's done in Victoria, due to budget constraints.  However, at last year's Pro Bike/Pro Walk conference, I was shocked to see a presentation by "little" Whatcom County, Washington, which does TDM programming at the level of what is done in Victoria, working with a consulting firm out of Europe.

      https://www.whatcomsmarttrips.org/login.aspx

      Like many "simple" arguments, there's still a lot of complexity and nuance.

      Richard Layman
      Washington, DC