World Streets Weekly Edition for 7 February 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2011

      - - - > To receive the Weekly Edition freely in 2011 please click here

      World Streets 2010: Aspirations, accomplishments, building blocks, and work still needed to move ahead

      http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/little-girl3.jpg?w=170&h=110#038;h=110The most significant accomplishment over this last year has been that World Streets has somehow managed to continue publication on a weekly basis, and step by step to improve the journal and steadily build up our international readership and contributions. And all this really quite against the odds and with less than modicum of the necessary financial support. But good cause, high commitment and fair performance carry the day, with the result that each week

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Putting Social Media to work on World Streets (Part II)

      http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/moonwalking-bear-small.jpg?w=137&h=175#038;h=175World Streets Social Media/Networking Game Plan in Brief (Working notes)

      Target: Let's see if and how we can best select and apply a batch of hopefully synergistic available social media tools to extend readership, content and support for World Streets in 2011. We do not at this point know enough about how all these things work to develop anything like a structured game plan -- but we are ready to play around a bit to determine how we might put to work one or some combination of these

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Putting Social Media to work on World Streets (Part I)

      http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/linkedin-feb11-network-faces2.jpg?w=84&h=114#038;h=114Question: Is there some way (or good reason) to integrate, link, make talk to each other usefully, whatever, the various social media to which we are trying to hook World Streets in some way. We at present have created two-way links between World Streets, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. We are seeing some utility in the individual hookups (but not all that much thus far), however I am baffled when it comes to figuring out how to orchestrate them in some useful way. Are we wasting our time or is there a creative fit? And what might that be?

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Día sin Coches en Bogotá XI : Carlosfelipe Pardo reporting live from the street on occasion of the city's 11th Car Free Day

      http://worldstreets.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/colombia-bogota-traffic-pollution.jpg?w=233&h=141#038;h=141This just in from our fearless embedded reporter on the streets of Bogotá Día sin coches XI. Carlos refers in his email to the seminal project which kicked off the basic structure for organizing days without cars back in 1994 under the title "Thursday: A Breakthrough Strategy for Reducing Car Dependence in Cities" . Later Thursday provided a part of the blueprint for the first Car Free Day to be organized in Bogotá under the exceptional leadership of then-mayor Enrique Penalosa on the first Thursday of . . .

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Review: Urban Mobility India 2010

      http://indiastreets.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/india-hyderabad-street-scene2.jpg?w=300&h=184#038;h=184The annual “flagship event” of the Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) of India’s federal government, Urban Mobility India 2010 was held in New Delhi between December 3rd and 5th, 2010 with the aim of creating “Accessible and Inclusive Cities”. This article reviews the main themes and happenings of the event, and though it may appear to nit-pick, it does appreciate the effort of the organisers in organising the event, and holds that perhaps the biggest achievement of the event was to be able to have a serious debate on controversial topics . . .

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The State of World Streets: 2010, 2011 & your imagination (Part I)

      http://worldstreets.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/italian-wall-painting-small.jpg?w=217&h=115#038;h=115With the new year of 2011 World Streets is entering its third year of publication and we thought that you might possibly  like to have this short report on its status, outlook, and in closing a few points to which you may wish to give some thought for your own personal new mobility agenda in the year ahead.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      And in closing:

      *   *  *  Here is this week's one minute movie (Just in case you missed it.)

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)